Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Epson 9600 Printer Question

Re: Epson 9600 Printer Question

Quote Originally Posted by Pali K View Post

I can ask the seller about it's history and load that it was used under. All I know is that it has never given the previous owner any problems and they did it to replace it with a new unit. Ill be sure to keep it near a humidifier.

Pali
    You can check history of use, as well as the current status of the components of the printer, from the control panel.

Go Menu>Printer Status, and from there check the status of such things as Usage Count, Job History, Total Pages, etc.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Thank you Sandy. Here is the info on the printer.

Usage Count: 12632.5 cm
    Total Prints: 2799 PG
    CR Motor: E***__F
    PF Motor: E****_F
    Cutter: E*****F
    Head Unit: E*****F
    Cleaning Unit: E***__F

Looks like this printer has seen good use in it's life. I don't know what to make of the end of life on Head Unit because I can't see anything wrong with the prints.

Pali

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becia View Post
    Pali,

I'm late to this thread, but my 9600 has been going strong for 15 plus years. I've put over 200 ink cartridges through it and calculated that I have run 336,330 running inches, or 28,000 feet through the printer so it has paid for itself many times over. A piece of advice, run a humidifier in the same room, it really helps keeping the heads from clogging. I've shut the printer down for several weeks while traveling and upon return, I'll run the humidifier for a couple days before turning it back on. Seems to help a lot. I've had routine service done a few times over the years. I'm probably looking at replacing within the next year only because one part needs replacing and parts are no longer made. I did pick up a used 7600 for the replacement part, hopefully so that will work temporarily. Good luck, I think it's a great printer.

How much ink and paper have been put through the printer, that can have a major effect on how long the printer will run. Has it ever been serviced? Like I said, mine has been a workhorse.

Jim hits it on the head... Running a humidifier near a inkjet machine is a really , really , really good idea. These machines like to be run as Jim points out and if you are not producing a lot of work they could be frustrating.

I use a Canon 9400 and we run quite a few prints through it... Just last week I had 6 of the 12 ink cartridges go low and $1400 later back in operation... I am not sure about long term storage and using it once in awhile, the lines may clog up and create a nightmare for a casual user.

Most of the top labs worldwide have a Bulk printing service (as do I) where the person who wants to manage their printing can control every aspect and pay only as they go and not worry about maintaining a machine.. In Jim's case he is really making top usage of his machine, thats a lot of prints over the years when you calculate that he is probably paying about a buck and half per foot for ink and paper.. I am impressed Jim. Where the hell do you store all your prints, I hope you are selling a lot of them.

IMHO the two top of the line machines from either Canon or Epson are killer machines and these 12 ink sets are really quite beautiful.. I am considering to downsize to a 44 inch Epson next, as there seems to be more support in my neighbourhood for Epson products.. I will have no hesitation going with a different machine as they both lay down the ink equally well.

Thank you Sandy. Here is the info on the printer.

Usage Count: 12632.5 cm
    Total Prints: 2799 PG
    CR Motor: E***__F
    PF Motor: E****_F
    Cutter: E*****F
    Head Unit: E*****F
    Cleaning Unit: E***__F

Pali

Just to clarify, each * between E and F represents 20% remaining of expected life. So all measured components of your printer are at least 60% remaining.

Main problem you can anticipate is nozzle clogging so be sure to follow advice and keep plenty of humidity in your room. Some people recommend a moisture pocket (sponge) placed inside the printer near the head. And of course, run a cleaning cycle at least once a week when the printer is not being used.

Also, I believe that you can make better B&W prints with the 9600 using QTR than with the Epson driver. The Ultrachrome ink set in the 760/9600 only has two B&W inks and QTR does a better job of blending them than the Epson driver.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io

That's awesome.
    I just picked up an old 9600 i'm about to resurrect. may you share with me some info on how you did it?

(three years later, may the force be with us and this reply will be noticed )

I gave up on mine because though it worked great, it required significant effort each time to get all the heads up and running and then that required constant profiling as a result. I rarely print anything over 13x19 which my trusty Pixima Pro 100 does flawlessly without any fuss.

I hope to get into large format again but will be buying a newer printer since I hear the heads on the new ones are painless to manage even with occasional use which is what I do.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for replying.

Well, i was offered just to pick it up 100 meters from my place and 3 floors up the stairs, i couldnt resist. it was sitting there for 2 years without use, and it was just handed over to me free of charge.
    Plugged it in, most inks are super low level, magenta is completly out and for that reason i cant even start testing it. Figured out it needs a VM of winXP to add to the fuss.
    I was wondering, if after sitting for two years, is there any point to try and service it, or its going to be so complicated it is better to print everything in print shops.
    Any suggestion of the right procedure to jump start it? just add the missing ink? buy all generic 7 inks and try running it? buy empty cartridges with flusher and cleaner? is it probable i need to replace the printing head?
    I'm thinking if it is a worthwhile garage project, or rather just re-gift it and get something more of our era, even a 5 color 36" canon, that sells for 1500$ and might suffice.

Would love to hear your thoughts and suggestion.
    Thank you again for you kind reply.

I gave up on mine because though it worked great, it required significant effort each time to get all the heads up and running and then that required constant profiling as a result. I rarely print anything over 13x19 which my trusty Pixima Pro 100 does flawlessly without any fuss.

I hope to get into large format again but will be buying a newer printer since I hear the heads on the new ones are painless to manage even with occasional use which is what I do.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Artman.A View Post
    Thank you so much for replying.

Well, i was offered just to pick it up 100 meters from my place and 3 floors up the stairs, i couldnt resist. it was sitting there for 2 years without use, and it was just handed over to me free of charge.
    Plugged it in, most inks are super low level, magenta is completly out and for that reason i cant even start testing it. Figured out it needs a VM of winXP to add to the fuss.
    I was wondering, if after sitting for two years, is there any point to try and service it, or its going to be so complicated it is better to print everything in print shops.
    Any suggestion of the right procedure to jump start it? just add the missing ink? buy all generic 7 inks and try running it? buy empty cartridges with flusher and cleaner? is it probable i need to replace the printing head?
    I'm thinking if it is a worthwhile garage project, or rather just re-gift it and get something more of our era, even a 5 color 36" canon, that sells for 1500$ and might suffice.

Would love to hear your thoughts and suggestion.
    Thank you again for you kind reply.

I would check out the status of the printer through the control panel, as mentioned in a past thread. If everything checks out there it would probably be OK to proceed and see if you can get a clean nozzle check. You can actually check that also through the control panel. There is a forum on groups.io about Epson printers, you might find get some advice there as well. https://groups.io/g/EpsonWideFormat/topics
    You can find information on trying to clear the nozzles on a bunch of sites, but I would not invest the time to replace the printing head as that would probably be more investment of money or time than the printer is worth.

If you can locate an inexpensive set of empty cartridges you could fill them with a good cleaning solution. This one looks pretty effective. https://www.mrprint.com/files/i-scre...VCr20144yr.pdf

Sandy

Free never means free with Epson. Unless you want to invest the amount of money it would take to get it running, which will be significant, better to just skip it. Ive passed on a few "free" Epsons over the years. Not worth it in my opinion. Just take a look at Pali's result. Epsons just require too much work. Better to get a Canon. Only case to be made for Epson in my opinion is if you want to convert it to a black and white printer. Then Epson is you only choice.

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    I would check out the status of the printer through the control panel, as mentioned in a past thread. If everything checks out there it would probably be OK to proceed and see if you can get a clean nozzle check. You can actually check that also through the control panel. There is a forum on groups.io about Epson printers, you might find get some advice there as well. https://groups.io/g/EpsonWideFormat/topics
    You can find information on trying to clear the nozzles on a bunch of sites, but I would not invest the time to replace the printing head as that would probably be more investment of money or time than the printer is worth.

If you can locate an inexpensive set of empty cartridges you could fill them with a good cleaning solution. This one looks pretty effective. https://www.mrprint.com/files/i-scre...VCr20144yr.pdf

Sandy
    Thanks. good idea. I found a cleaning cartridge set with the solution for about 130$ and compatible ink set for about another 130$, and 39$ drivers and RIP for windows 10. A new print head sells for another 100$ on ebay and dampers are very cheap. even if it would be a few days of assembly and maintenance i think it is worth the shot for a garage geek like myself.