Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epson 9600 Printer Question

Re: Epson 9600 Printer Question

Quote Originally Posted by Pali K View Post

I can ask the seller about it's history and load that it was used under. All I know is that it has never given the previous owner any problems and they did it to replace it with a new unit. Ill be sure to keep it near a humidifier.

Pali
    You can check history of use, as well as the current status of the components of the printer, from the control panel.

Go Menu>Printer Status, and from there check the status of such things as Usage Count, Job History, Total Pages, etc.

Sandy
    http://www.sandykingphotography.com/
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at Yahoo.
    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...nTransfer/info

Thank you Sandy. Here is the info on the printer.

Usage Count: 12632.5 cm
    Total Prints: 2799 PG
    CR Motor: E***__F
    PF Motor: E****_F
    Cutter: E*****F
    Head Unit: E*****F
    Cleaning Unit: E***__F

Looks like this printer has seen good use in it's life. I don't know what to make of the end of life on Head Unit because I can't see anything wrong with the prints.

Pali

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becia View Post
    Pali,

I'm late to this thread, but my 9600 has been going strong for 15 plus years. I've put over 200 ink cartridges through it and calculated that I have run 336,330 running inches, or 28,000 feet through the printer so it has paid for itself many times over. A piece of advice, run a humidifier in the same room, it really helps keeping the heads from clogging. I've shut the printer down for several weeks while traveling and upon return, I'll run the humidifier for a couple days before turning it back on. Seems to help a lot. I've had routine service done a few times over the years. I'm probably looking at replacing within the next year only because one part needs replacing and parts are no longer made. I did pick up a used 7600 for the replacement part, hopefully so that will work temporarily. Good luck, I think it's a great printer.

How much ink and paper have been put through the printer, that can have a major effect on how long the printer will run. Has it ever been serviced? Like I said, mine has been a workhorse.

Jim hits it on the head... Running a humidifier near a inkjet machine is a really , really , really good idea. These machines like to be run as Jim points out and if you are not producing a lot of work they could be frustrating.

I use a Canon 9400 and we run quite a few prints through it... Just last week I had 6 of the 12 ink cartridges go low and $1400 later back in operation... I am not sure about long term storage and using it once in awhile, the lines may clog up and create a nightmare for a casual user.

Most of the top labs worldwide have a Bulk printing service (as do I) where the person who wants to manage their printing can control every aspect and pay only as they go and not worry about maintaining a machine.. In Jim's case he is really making top usage of his machine, thats a lot of prints over the years when you calculate that he is probably paying about a buck and half per foot for ink and paper.. I am impressed Jim. Where the hell do you store all your prints, I hope you are selling a lot of them.

IMHO the two top of the line machines from either Canon or Epson are killer machines and these 12 ink sets are really quite beautiful.. I am considering to downsize to a 44 inch Epson next, as there seems to be more support in my neighbourhood for Epson products.. I will have no hesitation going with a different machine as they both lay down the ink equally well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pali K View Post
    Thank you Sandy. Here is the info on the printer.

Usage Count: 12632.5 cm
    Total Prints: 2799 PG
    CR Motor: E***__F
    PF Motor: E****_F
    Cutter: E*****F
    Head Unit: E*****F
    Cleaning Unit: E***__F

Pali

Just to clarify, each * between E and F represents 20% remaining of expected life. So all measured components of your printer are at least 60% remaining.

Main problem you can anticipate is nozzle clogging so be sure to follow advice and keep plenty of humidity in your room. Some people recommend a moisture pocket (sponge) placed inside the printer near the head. And of course, run a cleaning cycle at least once a week when the printer is not being used.

Also, I believe that you can make better B&W prints with the 9600 using QTR than with the Epson driver. The Ultrachrome ink set in the 760/9600 only has two B&W inks and QTR does a better job of blending them than the Epson driver.

Sandy
    http://www.sandykingphotography.com/
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at Yahoo.
    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...nTransfer/info