Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 46

Thread: Attention Please: Lotus LF & ULF users

  1. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Madisonville, LA
    Posts
    1,352

    Re: Attention Please: Lotus LF & ULF users

    I'll check the weight again when I get home

  2. #12
    Green Hand pierre506's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Suzhou, China
    Posts
    790

    Re: Attention Please: Lotus LF & ULF users

    Quote Originally Posted by pierre506 View Post
    Such design was awful and the reply from Lotus Company was terrible.
    The slats' thickness is 17.5cm. But for the sinking of the metal plate, they are thinner as 13.5cm and 9.5cm (maybe 7.5cm).

    通过我的 MHA-AL00 上的 Tapatalk发言
    Sorry, cm > mm

    通过我的 MHA-AL00 上的 Tapatalk发言
    Sometimes love just ain't enough.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pierre506/sets/

  3. #13

    Re: Attention Please: Lotus LF & ULF users

    Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    I'll check the weight again when I get home
    Relative to other makers of 11x14 cameras, I have grown appreciative of the beefy extended base support members that Deardorff employs particularly when I put a long heavy lens on the camera. As Jim Fitzgerald commented earlier, sometimes one needs to be appreciative of the weight particularly when it is involves structural stability and/or functionality. It will be curious what your newer V11 weights. I would be it is close to 30# since it has a leather handle and not the metal handle I have on mine.

  4. #14
    LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Vancouver Washington
    Posts
    3,337

    Re: Attention Please: Lotus LF & ULF users

    I know that my 14x17- 20x24 comes in at 31lbs. Now it does have a nice solid 80/20 aluminum base that is wrapped in solid Walnut. The Walnut is about 1/8" thick and where the tripod mounts it is nice and solid. It has to be when you get size and weight into the picture. Just has to be.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    SooooCal/LA USA
    Posts
    966

    Re: Attention Please: Lotus LF & ULF users

    The way the plate was secured was certainly STUPID, but I would see this as an opportunity to make/use a new plate (out of aluminium) that extends front to back of the bed with a line of tripod mounting holes, that would allow you to choose different mounting points (to allow you to trim the camera balance better for different set-ups, different weight lenses, etc)...

    I'm shocked that Lotus would NOT offer an upgrade service for this!!!

    Securing the old plate with screws was a no-brainer... :-@

    Making the best of this situation...

    Steve K

  6. #16

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    281

    Re: Attention Please: Lotus LF & ULF users

    Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    The way the plate was secured was certainly STUPID, but I would see this as an opportunity to make/use a new plate (out of aluminium) that extends front to back of the bed with a line of tripod mounting holes, that would allow you to choose different mounting points (to allow you to trim the camera balance better for different set-ups, different weight lenses, etc)...

    I'm shocked that Lotus would NOT offer an upgrade service for this!!!

    Securing the old plate with screws was a no-brainer... :-@

    Making the best of this situation...

    Steve K
    You should rather say - making the worst of this situation. If the OP did what you suggest he would be just out for the next disaster. To have a tripod hole made in aluminium for a tripod screw made of steel is an invitation to a quick surprise - the steel screw will damage the soft aluminium hole thread in no time. You could try to fasten a camera of this weight just several times and you would see that the aluminium thread could not withstand the damage the steel screw would cause.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    SooooCal/LA USA
    Posts
    966

    Re: Attention Please: Lotus LF & ULF users

    Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    You should rather say - making the worst of this situation. If the OP did what you suggest he would be just out for the next disaster. To have a tripod hole made in aluminium for a tripod screw made of steel is an invitation to a quick surprise - the steel screw will damage the soft aluminium hole thread in no time. You could try to fasten a camera of this weight just several times and you would see that the aluminium thread could not withstand the damage the steel screw would cause.
    Really... A piece of 6061 tapped can be used to hold ENG or studio broadcast cameras on the tripod, so what gives???

    Steve K

  8. #18

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    281

    Re: Attention Please: Lotus LF & ULF users

    Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Really... A piece of 6061 tapped can be used to hold ENG or studio broadcast cameras on the tripod, so what gives???

    Steve K
    Read other people's opinion - http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=401337 Maybe you will be surprised.
    Even small SLR cameras have on their bottom a steel insert to attach them to a tripod. So what gives?

  9. #19

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    SooooCal/LA USA
    Posts
    966

    Re: Attention Please: Lotus LF & ULF users

    Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    Read other people's opinion - http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=401337 Maybe you will be surprised.
    Even small SLR cameras have on their bottom a steel insert to attach them to a tripod. So what gives?
    Many of our wood cameras have brass (which is softer than today's aluminium alloys)... Is there a problem here???

    Steve K

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    CA Central Coast
    Posts
    582

    Re: Attention Please: Lotus LF & ULF users

    welllll
    Opinions are opinions
    It's is better to cite experience
    I made an 8x10 camera with a small aluminum plate on a small wood backing, and ripped it almost off in the field
    Wish I'd read Jim's experience
    So when I got home I replaced the entire bed with a solid piece of aircraft plywood, and used Dread Aluminum which I tapped for the tripod socket- no more problems

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •