I'm being seduced by ambrotypes but being able to use artificial light is a deal-breaker for me. I have old sledge hammer packs with enough joules in them to get me into the energy range people talk about for use with collodion. However, a couple of the heads need new tubes and the used market only has the UV-coated ones that are used in the fashion industry to prevent the dyes and brighteners in fabric from fluorescing. How much of a difference does it make to collodion using a strobe with a clear-glass tube vs one with anti-UV coating? I can't imagine that the uncoated tubes actually emit that much light or there would be warnings about using them without UV protection for your eyes. Beyond that, I don't know if collodion is primarily UV-sensitive or primarily blue-sensitive with a bit of response down into the UV (all I know is that it's red-blind).

So, those of you who actually do collodion-based processes, do you have any idea if clear-glass vs UV-coated strobe tubes is a deal breaker?