Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Precision bubble level

Re: Precision bubble level

Quote Originally Posted by toyotadesigner View Post
    I am kind of late, but here is a link to very high quality precision bubble levels:

http://www.ehipp.de/EN/index.html

I am not affiliated with them, just using some of their bubble levels on my Arca Swiss
    I looked at their website. Now to figure out which ones to order to install on my two Cambo monorail cameras where the spirit levels have dried up.

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    You can obtain a Smart Tool (digital) on Amazon too. What I like about it, that you don't even have to look at it....and when it beeps it's level to 1/10th degree (v. precise). Anyway, in my experience, it runs circles around any bubble-level I've had or seen. I've had this gidgit for over 10yrs.

Les
    Does the Smart Tool come pre-calibrated or do you have to calibrate it? If you have to calibrate it, how do you find a perfectly level surface? I can use my bubble-level to find a "level" surface, but I question the accuracy of my bubble-level when compared to the accuracy of the Smart Tool.
    thanks

Drew Wiley

You need levels to check levels, and squares to check squares, rulers to check rulers, etc. I use machinist versions which come with certification. That being said, a basic modest-priced pendulum angle finder with a built in 90-degree range would have to be rather badly off to have a significant effect on vertically or horizontally truing a camera standard. It's not like working with mirrored laser beams on a precise optical table. By contrast, because the reference surface of bubble levels, whether circular or linear, is so very small, any error present can be significant. You also need to know how to read them - directly on. Having a machinist-quality level from a reputable manufacturer, with at least the base surface precisely ground flat, is helpful. Hint: the name is not Stanley, or Empire, or anything else labeled PRC (made in China). If you can't afford outright machinist quality, a torpedo level from Stabila with a ground, polished base (not paint) is a good place to start.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Does the Smart Tool come pre-calibrated or do you have to calibrate it? If you have to calibrate it, how do you find a perfectly level surface? I can use my bubble-level to find a "level" surface, but I question the accuracy of my bubble-level when compared to the accuracy of the Smart Tool.
    thanks
    My came pre-calibrated. But, in order to calibrate, you can place it on the window sill and then reverse it 180deg and the calibration is done. As to taking photos, I never use a level. If need be, I can always tweak it in the edit. No need to complicate things.

Les

Drew Wiley

Knowing the manufacturer of that "Smart Tool Level", I doubt it was ever seriously calibrated by anyone; and even if it was, you need to understand how and why it might not maintain its setting. I can tell from the extrusion itself. I'd far rather have a basic bubble level by a serious manufacturer (and do), which will be cheaper anyway. Don't take such things for granted. Probably OK for general rough carpentry, if you want a fancy toy that beeps at you, fine; but it's hardly a precision device. The real deal would have been made on a machinist's bench. Don't want to argue with anyone over this. Greg asked. I've sold tens of thousands of levels over my career, from a number of makers, including the very first electronic ones (that is, construction-style. You could pay a million bucks for a scientific one that reads in millionths of an inch). Just like cameras, the less bells n' whistles, the more reliable. And do look for a machined base rather than paint in any such level. That does not mean just raw unpainted aluminum on the top and bottom, but something actually ground true and flat. It takes a bit of meat to do that, and not just a thin easily-warped extrusion. My favorite small one around the darkroom is a six in Stabila torpedo level with a conspicuous machined base. These run less than $40. I have a really precisely fully-machined torpedo level in the house which was quite expensive in its era but given to me. It has a precisely mounted laser beam in it, like a very precise laser pointer with machinist grade bubble levels too. It's in the house because the cats love chasing the beam. Otherwise, it's useless to try and level a running, pouncing cat. I sometimes use Starrett machinist levels for optical calibration projects; but they're ridiculous overkill for ordinary work like orienting a camera standard, and too fussy to be quick anyway.

Precision levels would be surveyor levels from KERN AARAU GKO, like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KERN-AARAU-...0AAOSwZVlXsfit

Then one to machinist levels where they are accurate to 0.001" per foot or much better than this:

Wyler (Swiss)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wyler-Inspe...sAAOSw1g9Zm1Sd

Starrett:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Starrett-98...4AAOSw52JcoURd

Brown & Sharpe:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brown-Sharp...kAAOSw3YpbopOo

-0.0004" per division / 10"

Seriously, reasonable quality plastic levels used on majority of view cameras are more than good enough once properly set and calibrated. The better way is to use accurate grid lines on the ground glass to "square up" the items that need to this geometric accuracy.

Bernice

I have a Horseman Angle Finder that I bought years ago. It is very precise and I use it for everything from leveling my enlargers and cameras, especially for photographing artwork. They are difficult to find but there is one on feeBay right now...

Foamer

Been doing some reading. I'd like to have a small level to add to my camera bag, maybe a 6 inch torpedo. Have found these makers to be fairly well regarded: Stabila, Irwin, Empire, Milwaukee. I like the color of the Irwin. Any of these have a lighted vial? That would help me in the dark.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Drew Wiley

Putting the Stabilia in the same pack as the others, Kent, is about like parking a BMW in the middle of a bunch of skateboards. Irwin products are about as trashy as they get. The others are also low-quality Chinese.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Sorry, Bernice, but that's not the Starrett precision level.

The precision level is a 199Z:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8640750-24.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	190251

It costs $1000.00
    https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/86407509

I have two of them.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.