Thread: Microtek 2500f repairs?

Microtek 2500f repairs?

I have just been informed by Microtek that they no longer have a service department. If a scanner is out of warrenty (one year , in the case of a 2500f) "You just have to buy a new one." Given the cost of this scanner, this is obviously not a good option. Does anyone know of someone else servicing these scanners?

Jack

Microtek 2500f repairs?

Thanks for the heads-up.

Perhaps they have re-envisioned their Management Charter, and concluded that Service no longer aligns with their Core Value Proposition ;-)

My 2500f scans include horizontal lines which appear to originate from light bouncing around the inside of the scanner. They are more pronounced when scanning transparencies above the glass, IE those larger than 4x5.

...yet another reason I have moved out of scanning, and in to contact printing. There's much less to go wrong with a sheet of glass.

Microtek 2500f repairs?

Well so much for that route. I was very close to picking up the 1800f but if this is the case, I think I'll pass. Thanks for the info. BTW, where do they send it when it IS still under warranty?

Microtek 2500f repairs?

Apparently scanners that are still under warrenty are replaced, not repaired. This makes sense for low end scanners, they are just not worth repairing, but it is hard to understand their policy when a 2500f can cost $3000.

Microtek 2500f repairs?

I spoke with the rep at the View camera Conference, he gave me his number in california. I will get in touch with him and see WTH is going on.

this does not make sense unless they are getting out of the business of selling scanners.

Microtek 2500f repairs?

Thank Herb, that might be helpful. Please let us know what you find out. I was considering, based on the scanner survey results, in investing in a 2500f, but based on what I was told by Microtek's service department this morning, it seems like a very poor investment. Unfortunately, no other flatbed scanner gives nearly as sharp results. Purhaps Epson will step up to the plate in the future?

Microtek 2500f repairs?

Just got word from Microtek... they shut down their service faicilty over a year ago. They have been swapping out problem scanners and then fixing and selling to use as demos. There are several "fix it" shops around the country who will fix a broken Microtek.

Microtek 2500f repairs?

I posted a reply on my office computer and it did not show up; at the risk of two replies from me:

I spoke with the marketing manager this afternoon. He said it was true they did not have a repair service, just replace the whole thing. He also said he thought it was industry practice and that Epson and Canon did the same, best of his knowledge.

He promised to verify both Microtek's complete policy and also that of the competition, and report on this site, or call me back tomorrow
    or thursday and let us all know their position.

He was concerned that they were looking after customers and mentioned something about prorating after the one year, but he wanted to verify that before promising anything more than the one year.

Microtek 2500f repairs?

Hi all,

Thanks for your interest in Microtek and the 2500f and 1800f. I've been in touch with our Technical Service Team to clarify our service in regards to scanners. As mentioned in a previous thread, we currently follow the industry practice and swap the unit or equivilant for up to the 13th month of ownership under warranty. During the second year, when it is out of warranty we swap the unit or equivilant model, charge a flat fee dependent on model and pay shipping both ways. The third year is demo pricing with one way free shipping, with no RMA required and you can even keep the defective unit if you wish.

For simple lamp and inverter changes, they can be completed via 3rd party service centers that Scott mentioned on a previous post, but I've also been told that this forum has a few folks who know their way around a lamp and inverter and have done their own change out.

Microtek is committed to providing our end users the most seamless support as possible. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions or concerns related to our current product line within the U.S.A.