Hello all!

First off, I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who frequents these forums. I have not been on in quite some time. I was doing some research and lo and behold an old thread I started appeared. Wow, it was so fascinating to read the many suggestions, ideas, and thoughts people provided me back then. Also super interesting to see what fit and what did not, as well as to see the level of my own naivete and how far I have come.

Long story short- I cam here several years ago asking about large format cameras. I was about to begin an MFA program and was sold on the idea that using a view camera would slow me down. At that point I was working digitally, occasionally shooting with a Mamiya 7 (which I sold, but not wish I had back) and a Yashica mat-124 G that I enjoyed, but that know longer works. In many ways I was still very new to photography, but I was certain my work would blossom and I would exert more control over my image making if I shot LF. I knew I wanted something to take into the field and that I could travel with. The way I shoot now is different from back then, but not radically so by any means. My website (which needs an update!) is www.isabelmagowan.com and hopefully can be helpful in providing some context for the images I make. I currently work with a 5d Mark III. It is a great camera, but something doesn't feel right. Ultimately, this is because of my own photographic process and inability to decide what I want to make work about than it is anything to do with the camera. Regardless... Those years ago I got excellent advice. Looking back now I am wondering why I did not respond to every single suggestion. I suppose in a way I sort of had my mind made up early on. Many cameras were mentioned. Some were real proponents of the speed graflex, of wood cameras, of Toyo's, of monorails. I knew I did not want a monorail, I still stand by that. Ultimately, I bought a Chamonix. Beautiful camera, but I under estimated by own patience and over estimated the degree to which I thought I needed movements. The truth is, while this camera is beautiful, it never felt intuiative, but more frustrating and difficult to handle, difficult to store. Admittedly, that was because I was a newbie. I over looked more commonly produced brands thinking this camera had the answers. I picked something perhaps to beautiful and too advanced. Its movements at times felt counter intuitive and did not leave me feeling like I had control (again experience). While I made some beautiful images with this camera, I never enjoyed the experience. Set up and break down was always cumbersome, a certain mechanisms, especially the lift and tilt function mechanism on one part on the back kept slipping and almost breaking down on me.

Yet, I have not given up on 4x5 and the idea of a field camera, simply put, this beautiful camera was not the right fit for me. Recently I saw my friends horseman. It looked so tiny! So easy to fold back in! The lens I believe could stay on. All that annoying setup of the Chamonix (I believe it is the 045F1) was one of the reasons why I just couldn't get myself to use it. It felt so anal that I felt my soul being sucked out. The horseman, which she said was fairly inexpensive, was great she said. At this point, I have learned that price does not always make for a better camera. I still love the idea of setting up a shot, but not without all those bells and whistles, all the time of setup. Of course some set up is to be expected but that is fine. I just need something a bit more pragmatic, functional, and useful. I want the process to be smooth and excite me more than frustrate me. Because the Chamonix is sort of "botiquey" I found it hard to find advice when dealing with issues or when trying to problem solve. That back mechanism... not so smooth... I feel anxiety thinking about it.

So any thoughts? What do some thing about the Horseman (I can not recall which she had, I believe she bought it for $600.00). Are there any other light weight easy to use, set up, and carry cameras available? Do any have the option of also taking medium format film? I am also open to the idea of shooting with a medium format camera. I found the Mamiya RZ cumbersome, although know many people who love it. The Mamiya 7 was great but the paralax was tough on the version I had and I found (must have been due to my lens) that I could never get all that close. I also find the Mamiya in some ways has over taken the LF standard in artsy fartsy schools. I have also found that people were shooting with all sorts of things (that is the good news).

Please let me know if you have any questions or could use more information that might help with feedback. Apologies for the long rambling above. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by the 5d mainly because now I have a bunch of equipment for it, but in doing this have lost the passion of simply seeing and making. I get distracted by this or that and don't focus on what I want and how to achieve it. Any ideas are welcome and I am incredibly appreciative for all and any advice.

Thank you!

- Issy