Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing a stuck nut...

Removing a stuck nut...

OK. I have a small problem. A #0 Copal shutter mounting ring has jammed tight on the lens. Its backed part way out, leaving the lens on the lens board largely unusable. I suspect that a sliver of metal between the mount ring and the shutter threads is the source of the problem. And I'm concerned about stripping the threads on the shutter.

I have thought of at least two ways to remove the mount ring:

1) freeze the shutter to shrink the metal, heat the mount ring to expand just that one piece, and try to unthread the ring from the shutter.

2) using a jewelers file, cut the mount ring from the shutter.

What's the best way to remove the mount ring in a way that does the least damage to the shutter and mount threads? I can always replace the mount ring if needs be. Thanks for your thoughts.

Removing a stuck nut...

Freezing the entire lens and then trying to heat only part of the lens could cause other issues with element separation and I would try to stay away from such practice.

Using a jeweler's file to cut the ring off could be a decent solution though you have the opportunity to muck up your threads. The file could then be used to repair the threads after the ring has been removed--If the ring is truly lodged *that bad* then the threads probably need to be cleaned up anyhow.

Removing a stuck nut...

Christopher : did you try one of the rubber-clamps (similar to those sold by Micro-Tools) in a desperate attempt to screw/unscrew the ring ?
    Now that it is located at certain distance from the board, if the ring is not too thin, you might have a better chance to grip it firmly with the rubber clamp.

Removing a stuck nut...

The mounting ring is quite stuck. No forward or backoff motion is possible at this time without fear of stripping the threads.

Regarding the deep freeze: I would, of course, remove any lens barrels before throwing just the shutter into the freezer. The front group is removable. The rear group is tight, but might be removable.

So the bidding thus far is: jeweler's file.

Removing a stuck nut...

I would hope thatChristopher would know better than to freeze the lens and then apply any heat...

If you can removed the lens cells, freezeing the shutter and then applying heat to the ring would help. Very few people have the equipment that would make this easy such as a micro-torch or even a large soldering iron.... You could possible apply drops of boiling water tot he ring with a eye dropper?

I might try a drop or two of some lubricant like WD-40 on the threads, then a lens wrench if there's room to fit it. It not, a large rubber griiper or piece of inner tube. Any form of pliers would make the problem worse... Give a good penetrating lubricant a try and move the ring back & forth to see if it will free up.

If the lens board is made of wood, you could also split that off to make more room to use a lens wrench. If it's a 'good' board, the cost of replacement may be as high as a new ring though...

If I needed to remove such a ring, I would split it using a Dremel with a cutting disc. This would cause the least harm to the shutter threads were you wind up going a bit too far. Using a file would be very difficult in such a tight space....

Removing a stuck nut...

I'll agree with RichSBV. Use the Dremel tool with a cutting disc. But stop short of cutting too deep. Then use a screwdriver to fit the slot, and twist, to try and split the ring. If it doesn't split, use the Dremel again and cut a little deeper, and try to split again. Good Luck!

Removing a stuck nut...

Ah. Dremel. Good idea.

I'll have to find a cutting disk that's fairly small.

The lensboard is aluminum.

Thanks to all!

Removing a stuck nut...

Chain saw sharpening stone for the dremel should work. Even if you go a tiny bit into the shutters threads it shouldn't cause any permanent problem.

Removing a stuck nut...

I would try a penetrating oil to see if that provides enough lubrication to the metal on metal contact point. If that was unsuccessful and I planned on keeping/using the lens in the future I would send it to Grimes or another mechinist and let them fix it for you. If the threads are mucked up, a machinist is in order anyway. Save yourself the aggrivation and the risk that you mess it up and contract it out.

Grimes assisted me with a delicate removal of a galled 24" Red Dot from its barrel mount that was a real bitch. They can apply tourque to members with specialized techniques in a very contraolled environment that have proven to work. Dremels and files are nothing more than hack jobs highly likely to cause more damage IMHO. Been there and done that.

Removing a stuck nut...

"heat the mount ring to expand just that one piece"

Anyone want to buy a Leica 135mm with a broken front element?