Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I think I found my next LF hauler!

Re: I think I found my next LF hauler!

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    16" is great! The spokes are iffy, aren't they?
    I've used a Sherpa Cart, which is sadly no longer available, with similar wheels and no issues whatsoever. I'd say they're worth a try.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    That's really cool. Haven't seen my friend at work yet, the guy with the ALICE frame. It'll be interesting. Heck why not, it's free and I can use it for 4x5 at least right? Or uban hiking in LA!

So how would you attach an axle to an ALICE frame?

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    And it has two mesh cup holders keep your beverages secure!
    It seems pretty practical for lawns and paths. Not really wilderness ready simply because of wheel size. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OMM38TC/
    I was looking at these and there are some at the local Walmart and better ones at Dick's sporting goods. Yeah, I'm kinda iffy with the wheels. I've had handtrucks with solid wheels before and there's nothing like a handtruck or a cart with real tires with air in them. It does look great cause you can fold it down small though. As usual, I think eventually I would say to myself "should've got the heavy duty one".

You know, like you buy a camera bag to "just fit enough" and then later one you are like "dang, should've got the bigger one". We've all been there. Camera bags anonymous man....

I apologize! I misidentified the backpack frame! It is not an ALICE at all. It is an aluminum backpack frame with a top extension that slides up so it can become a handle in this application. The axle is one I made that fits across the bottom of the frame with clearance so that the pack can be carried with our without the wheels. I'll try to find a picture. So sorry for the misdirection.

The wheels were used for another application - a garden hauler later replaced with a Worx Aerocart.

A tip on inflatable wheels - some of them are of unfortunate design - the inflation valve (schrader valve) is too close to a spoke or the hub to reach with a regular tire pump or compressor tip.

A tip on inflatable wheels - some of them are of unfortunate design - the inflation valve (schrader valve) is too close to a spoke or the hub to reach with a regular tire pump or compressor tip.
    Yeah, I've noticed this on my jogging stroller!

The wheel base is rather short. In time I will post my Alice backpack frame with two 12" pneumatic tires which means you can carry the backpack and when the going gets tough you can pull it behind. Nudge me to make it so. (I am still looking for larger diameter pneumatic wheels that fit a 1/2" axle.)
    I'd like to see this!

Testing it out today. So far so good. I pulled a 50 pound fat ass on it. On sidewalk/concrete. so smooth. Ball bearing wheels are so much better than a red flyer wagon or the Baby Jogger stroller I used to use.
    On grass, a little more challenging. On hard dirt, not a problem.

Going down hill, need to hold the handle on your butt on or it'll get away from you. Or lead with the wagon and pull it going downhill to keep it from running away. Probably wrap my good old Bogen so it doesn't hurt the plastic. And then lash is down with some rope or some bungie cords.

So are you going to get a backpack for your camera since the wagon is spoken for?

Nah... now he must take two wagons... one for camera... other for lazy dog.

For me the metal version would work better. Could be modified to carry my 11x14, holders and a couple lenses. Take off the metal sides and build my own boxes on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GOR801_Image_2.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China