Thread: Show In Japan!

Show In Japan!

Hey gang! I'll be leaving for Japan tomorrow and staying for six weeks. I'll be having a show there on the 26th to 31st. During my twelve years over there (I've been back in Canada for three years now) I did a lot of photography. Actually, that is where I basically taught myself. I started with a little Pentax K1000, and worked my way up to 8x10. The show is at a very small gallery (Vasaro Gallery) in an almost forgotten mall (a big store similar to Wal-Mart opened nearby in 2002 so many stores in the mall had to close down after decades of service). It's a very appropriate venue.
    Anyways, the show will consist of prints of the long gone coal mining industry in this small city inwhich I taught English (Omuta, on West side of Kyushu Island), a few prints from favourite spots in Japan and photos that I took recently in Canada. All are from 4x5 and 8x10 negatives. The 8x10s are all contact printed. They are all in my suitcase now. My suitcase better not end up in Frankfurt!
    I've rented a very small flat on a very busy street (lots of sushi shops and ramin shops!). There is also a big internet cafe. I'll pop in there now and again to keep in touch with all of you. I'll let you know how the show is going.
    I'll not be taking any LF cameras with me this time. I'll have a 35mm and Holga to keep me company.

If any of you are in the neighbourhood please pop by!

Well, that's all I wanted to say. Wish me luck and lets hope the horrid humidity over there doesn't get to me and my prints!

Show In Japan!

Andrew,

Is it in Omuta? The topic sounds very interesting. I'm going back home in Japan during the summer off but afraid not in time to make it to your show. Any chance you show the work online?

I wish you success and that you enjoy the stay (well, as much as you could under 100F with 90+% humidity).

Show In Japan!

Hi Hiro,

Yes, it's in Omuta, Fukuoka ken, right at the end of Nishitetsu line. Sorry, no photos online. I've been wanting to make a website but I've been far to busy with teaching during the day, and printing at night. One of these days I'll make one.
    Luckily my flat has air conditioning so I won't have to peel myself off of my futon in the mornings!! Which part of Japan are you from?

Show In Japan!

I certainly wish you luck and much success......Heck, buy a cheap digital camera and take pictures of the mounted show and let us see... :-)

Show In Japan!

Hey Jorge, that's not a bad idea! Thanks!

Show In Japan!

Hi Andrew,

Born and grew up in the Osaka-Kobe area, spent university days in Kyoto. I'm going to Nagoya probably next month where my parents live. I'm planning to meet some LF'ers in Tokyo whom I met online and would seriously consider visiting Omuta if your show were to be held while I'm there. It'll be so darn hot anyway, so a long, cool Shinkansen ride wouldn't be a bad thing;-)

Good luck.

Show In Japan!

Hi Hiro,

If you do come, hop in a taxi and tell the driver to take you to the mall where Matsuya department store used to be. Vasaro Gallery is in that mall. You could actually walk from JR station, it's so close. The staff at the station will point you in the right direction. Hope to see you there!

Show In Japan!

Hey Andrew,

Hope you have a safe trip and an amazing show. I really wanted to see those prints in person before you left but oh well...

I am leaving for Turkey on monday. I am staying there till the end of August. I am really tempted to take my 4x5 along..but i do have lots of junk i am taking with me, other wise i would bring the 8x10 along with the surveyors tripod

well hope to see you soon. take care