Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New fire in Yosemite----

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: New fire in Yosemite----

The smoke has gotten really bad in the valley - skyrocketing to 220 micrograms per cubic meter yesterday!
    http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Y...k-12176803.php
    https://www.nature.nps.gov/air/WebCa...melines_pm.cfm

Thomas

Drew Wiley

It's bad here on the Bay. But today's report says the air is clear at Mineral King now; and I'll be well north of there and a lot higher too. So it looks like a go for me. But another big fire could start anytime. The risk looks just as bad or even worse out of state. They just rescued several dozen backpackers squeezed between two big fires in Oregon. I'll be mostly above timberline, and am more worried about ice in a particular chute. I don't really want the extra weight of lugging ice gear. I'm getting old and lazy.

Drew Wiley

Trying to get accurate info on the Mission Fire. The North Fork area is being evacuated and the Governer has declared it a disaster area. It seems to be headed toward Mammoth Pool; but it's starting to look like a monster that could also shut down the south entrance to Yos. With so many dead pines around, the Bass Lake resort area could burn in an hour. Apparently the pine beetles never learned that climate change is a hoax.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Trying to get accurate info on the Mission Fire.
    Inciweb page on the Mission fire: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5588/

-Darren

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    It's bad here on the Bay. But today's report says the air is clear at Mineral King now; and I'll be well north of there and a lot higher too. So it looks like a go for me. But another big fire could start anytime. The risk looks just as bad or even worse out of state. They just rescued several dozen backpackers squeezed between two big fires in Oregon. I'll be mostly above timberline, and am more worried about ice in a particular chute. I don't really want the extra weight of lugging ice gear. I'm getting old and lazy.
    Drew yes the Columbia River gorge is on fire since Saturday. Some idiot teenager thought it would be funny to throw fireworks down a canyon off of the Eagle Creek trail. 33,00acres and 5% contained. It is not good up here. Today was the first day that you could actually go outside. The smoke and ash in Vancouver has been very bad.

Drew Wiley

Thanks Jim & Darren. Well at least it looks like the Mission Fire has been bulldozer surrounded. If it got up onto Chiquito Ridge and a crown fire in those dead pines, there would have been no stopping it. I'm still waiting to learn if anyone I personally knew lost a home. But there were also some scruffy meth types back in there too.