Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New fire in Yosemite----

New fire in Yosemite----

In Historic Wawona this time.
    The camp ground has been commandeered to house the fire crews and C-130 tankers have been launching from the Air Attack Base for two days now. Residents in the area have been warned that evacuation may be ordered at any time. The park is still open, however.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Preston Birdwell

Re: New fire in Yosemite----

It is called the South Fork Fire. More on Inciweb

There is a second fire in Yosemite called the Empire Fire As of two days ago it was 1,320 Ac. and is burning 1 Mile South of Bridalveil Campground in Yosemite's Wilderness.

Both fires are creating smoky conditions with drift occurring at Tioga Pass.

If you plan to be in Yosemite, be sure to check current conditions, as well as trail closures due to these fires.
    --P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

We just heard that Wawona is being evacuated. Yikes!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I noticed that the Porcupine Creek campground is now open but the Yosemite Creek campground is still closed. I believe both were the original campgrounds along the Yosemite wagon road through the park before 120 was built. When I first camped in Yosemite Creek campground I got the feeling that this was an ancient campground. The bridge was out then and probably is still out.

Thomas

Preston Birdwell

As of this morning, 8/20, the South Fork Fire is 3,191 ac. and is 10% contained. Mandatory evacuations will remain in place for Wawona.
    --P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Yet another fire in the same vicinity, this one at Fish Camp along the Southern Yosemite Highway 41 outside the South Gate to the Park in the narrow gauge RR & Tenaya Lodge proximity. If you're heading for Yosemite this weekend, check the conditions first!

Preston Birdwell

John, the new fire is called the Railroad Fire and is in Sierra NF. More at Inciweb.

Currently 920 Ac and 5% contained. There is a hard closure of Hwy 41 from Cedar Valley Drive to the South entrance to Yosemite National Park.

If you plan to visit Yosemite, you need to use either Hwy 140 or 120.
    --P
    Preston-Columbia CA

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I was wondering yesterday where all the new smoke was coming from. Glacier Point road was closed yesterday also.

Thomas

Fish Camp has been evacuated, including Tenaya Lodge

Preston Birdwell

An update on Sierra fire activity...

Railroad Fire: 5,414 Acres, 10% contained. Extreme fire behavior. Evacuations and road closures still in effect.

Slinkard Fire near Topaz Lake: 7,881 Acres, 20% contained. Travel restrictions in effect on HWY 395 from Bridgeport to the Nevada state line. Extreme fire behavior.

Empire Fire, Yosemite: 4,550 Acres, 55%. Road and trail still in effect.

South Fork Fire, Yosemite: 6,985 Acres, 47% contained. Moderate fire behavior.

Summit Complex, Stanislaus NF on HWY 108 corridor: 1,427 Acres total for three lightning caused fires in the Dardanelle and Douglas areas. Moderate fire behavior. Some trail closures in effect, and voluntary evacuations of campgrounds on the Clark Fork road.

There is a lot of drift smoke from these fires impacting many areas making for unhealthy air. If you plan to travel, be sure to check current conditions, and above all--be safe.
    --P
    Preston-Columbia CA