Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New fire in Yosemite----

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: New fire in Yosemite----

The winds here in the bay area have shifted to offshore pulling-in all the smoke from the fires resulting in terrible air quality. However that resulted in a beautiful blood-red sunset yesterday over the Pacific at Ocean Beach where tens of thousands fled to avoid the oppressive heat: It hit 106F in downtown SF for an all-time high! Similar temperatures and air quality are forecast for today easing up somewhat on Labor Day and beyond.

Stay cool and hydrated out there.

Thomas

Heavy smoke here, too. Our main highway east (about 75 miles) has been closed a few days due to a fire on both sides...lots of structures burnt. Yesterday it hit 90F. Today it is up to 97F so far. I am so glad I do not fight wildfires anymore -- a young person's job. I did not do a whole bunch, but having fire in my face in the middle of nowhere wasn't what I call fun.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

Gosh. Up 50 deg in a week. I'm sitting at my retouching station in the dkrm cause it's the coolest spot I have, but have run out of prints to retouch. Wonder if the bullwhip effect of this monsoons activity will hit me next wk with a big storm. Hopefully no more monster fires in the southern Sierra like the last few years.

Yesterday one of my friends who works in Yosemite reported that there was a four hour wait just to get through the ranger station on 140.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

The slowdown at that entry is to make certain nobody is trying to smuggle Fresno people into the Park!

Quote Originally Posted by drew wiley View Post
    the slowdown at that entry is to make certain nobody is trying to smuggle fresno people into the park!
    lol!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Yesterday one of my friends who works in Yosemite reported that there was a four hour wait just to get through the ranger station on 140.
    I can confirm that wait. In a fit of spontaneity I decided to go over Tioga pass to get to Phoenix.

Roger

Drew Wiley

At the moment I'm a bit concerned about smoke from the Pier Fire above Porterville. It's allegedly at 17,000 acres right now with zero containment. As per wacky traffic, right on a record heat holiday, and everyone headed to Stinson Beach to cool down, they decided to close Hwy 1 for a repair. That forced all the traffic onto the tiny Muir Woods road, where they were stuck for hours on a 2-mile section. Glad I stayed home. The cool air arrived here around noon, while people headed for the beach were melting.

I haven't smoked a cigarette in over 40 years. I spent this morning in Coarsegold and I think I made up for it

Drew Wiley

I' m heading out of Courtright next weekend. Since that will be my low point, hopefully I'll be above any smoke. SEKI is claiming good air above 8500, but rather miserable air anywhere road altitude. The big fire is down in the brush of the Tule River, so I don't know where that goes except to settle in the SJ Valley. We had a weird orange sunset here on the Bay last nite; but today the wind direction changed and the air is clearing.