Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tone question for the chemists - brown tone developer.

Re: tone question for the chemists - brown tone developer.

You could try Fomatol PW.
    "I believe there is nothing more disturbing than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept!" (Ansel Adams)

https://philippe.grunchec-photographe.over-blog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    I ordered the PF 106 warmtone paper developer and will give it a try with Ilford MGFB Classic, Ilford MGFB Warmtone, and Bergger VC CB Warmtone to see if it will print in a warm brown tone as described. My garage darkroom is a bit hot to work in right now so may have to wait for a cooler day. I scoured the internet but can not find anyone who has used this formula, it is slightly different than the Ansco 110 formula.
    Do these papers have incorporated developer in them?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Philippe Grunchec View Post
    You could try Fomatol PW.
    warm image tone is not the same as brown image tone.

[QUOTE]Do these papers have incorporated developer in them? [QUOTE]
    Ilford denies having incorporated developer yet at same time adds a miniscule amount of HQ to stabilize their coating. I have found one example of a user in 2014 who got a brown tone on matte paper from this developer.

Note: I chopped the tip of my finger off last night and had to get it cauterized to stop the bleeding - I will be postponing any darkroom work for a couple of weeks.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Update: I finally got back in the darkroom today and tried the PF106 developer. Unfortunately it does not yield brown toned prints on modern papers. I tried it on Ilford MGFB Classic, Ilford MGFB WT, and Bergger CB Variable Contrast Warm Glossy. The developer does have one unique characteristic that makes it an interesting tool in the arsenal, It requires a longer exposure time for the image to print max black. That comes in handy on a thin negative and or dark scenes. PF106 is a very slow working developer too but increases activity with time (images get darker). Shelf life is limited to about 6 weeks for the stock solution which makes it a bit impractical for me.

If you are interested to see how the developer compares to Ethol LPD and how it performed with these papers I wrote about it in my blog http://www.searing.photography/testing-lpd-vs-pf106/.

Let me know your thoughts if you have had a different experience with this product or have suggestions for further experimentation.

Another interesting find - PF106 when used with Ilford MG Art paper has less noticeable texture than it does with LPD development. The whites don't get that watercolor paper divot and the blacks seem more solid.
    I changed the dilution to 1:15 and increased development time to 4 minutes. Still not brown, but I like the way it looks with Ilford Art.

Probably need to do more testing to confirm it as it could also be a difference in soak and wash time or other unknown factors.