Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: minimum focusing distance (Wista 45DX) 4x5 for bust shots

Re: minimum focusing distance (Wista 45DX) 4x5 for bust shots

OK, thanks. My mistake. I've not seen this one mentioned in my research over the last few days. The one I see mentioned the most is the 240 A.

Huub

Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    That is the kind of response I was after. According to the stats, a 45AII can facilitate a 300mm lens. How this translates in close focusing subjects, I have no idea. I'm still new to this game!

Like all the cool kids, I am looking for a as fast a lens as possible, so I can get that minimal DOF that seems to be the fashion of the day (I say that in jest, but yes, that is the exact look that I am after). At least I know I could get a 240mm standard lens and it should work.
    You can focus a non-tele 300mm at infinity with a 45A and a bit closer too, but not to the amount you would like for bust shots. For minimal DOF i would like to repeat my earlier suggestion: get yourself a f5.5 360mm tele-xenar. It will allow for bust shots with your camera and the f5.5 is about as fast as it gets for this focal lenght.

Quote Originally Posted by Huub View Post
    You can focus a non-tele 300mm at infinity with a 45A and a bit closer too, but not to the amount you would like for bust shots. For minimal DOF i would like to repeat my earlier suggestion: get yourself a f5.5 360mm tele-xenar. It will allow for bust shots with your camera and the f5.5 is about as fast as it gets for this focal lenght.
    Cheers. I had a quick look at they are probably a touch above my "lets play with this for a while" budget. But I will keep this in mind and add it to my research pile.

Please see my PM about an extension that would work with your camera.

I just sold a Wista SP and experienced a similar problem and purchased the extension mentioned in my PM. I was trying to extend the front standard to accept a 355mm G-Claron. But even with a metal technical field camera, the combination seemed kind of wobbly.

In addition to the 355mm G-Claron, I also have a 385mm Wollensak Tele-Rapter that's quite a heavy lens. My Wista SP easily held this lens in a stable way. So, you might be better off with a 300mm tele lens.

SCM,

Thxs. Just to be sure, I would buy a copal 1 version of the extension board. I would remove my Nikor 300mm lens from it's current lens board and attach it to this one. Once I mount the lens and new board onto my Wista SP, I will be able to do close ups, portraits etc. Correct?

Any "tricks" or issues in mounting and remounting?

Quote Originally Posted by mitrajoon View Post
    SCM,

Thxs. Just to be sure, I would buy a copal 1 version of the extension board. I would remove my Nikor 300mm lens from it's current lens board and attach it to this one. Once I mount the lens and new board onto my Wista SP, I will be able to do close ups, portraits etc. Correct?

Yes, providing any rear element fits into the extended boards tube.

SCM,

It depends on which 300mm Nikon lens you have, I can't see where you specified the model. A Nikkor M 300 f/9 is in a #1 shutter, the Nikkor W 300mm f/5.6 is in a #3 shutter.

SCM,

Mine is f/9 copal 1. Any concerns that the "rear element fits into the extended boards tube"? (Thxs Bob S).

SCM,

Mine is f/9 copal 1. Any concerns that the "rear element fits into the extended boards tube"? (Thxs Bob S).
    No, you won't have any problem at all.

SCM,

Not with a process lens like yours.