Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: minimum focusing distance (Wista 45DX) 4x5 for bust shots

Re: minimum focusing distance (Wista 45DX) 4x5 for bust shots

On a Toyo 45AII, 355mm bellows draw is needed for head and shoulders framing with a 300mm lens. This is with a subject to lens distance of approx 4.5 feet or 1370mm. Should be similar for any 4x5 camera. The differences between cameras will be what combination of parts, pieces and accessories are needed to achieve the bellows draw.

how did you calculate that ? if I knew that, it would have saved me lots of time

I hate demonstrating my ignorance, but I made the same mistake. Now I have a beautiful Nikor 300mm lens for sale because I didn't know I couldn't use it with my Wista SP. Could someone explain exactly which "top hat lens board" I should get so I can keep this lens and take portraits? I looked on eBay and simply couldn't figure out what to buy.

looks like the chamonix 45n-2 has 395mm focusing distance and the extension to 500mm only costs 120$ more.
    anyone wants to buy my mint condition wista 45dx

Going back to the original post and the quest for a Goldilocks lens, a monorail camera may be just the thing to suit such a lens. Monorail cameras are usually cheaper than folding field cameras and are very easy to use with generous bellows extension (400+mm is common) and lots of movements, especially back rise for portraits. If you will use it at home and close to home, then why not consider one?

Quote Originally Posted by Huub View Post
    Why didn't you try the 210mm you already seems to have? With my Toyo 45A (30 cm bellows draw too) i have found that 210mm allows for nice bust shots without getting too close to people. For portraits it is my favourite lens.
    As an alternative you could get a f5.5 360mm Tele Xenar, which will also do the job nicely. As a tele design it only needs 210mm of belows draw at infinity and at 300mm bellows draw it does let you shoot nice bust shots. The large maximum aperture helps to keep DOF limited.
    Funny that this thread should be prevalent now. I have exactly the same question as the OP, but am using a 45A in the same way as Huub.

So I don't start a new thread, how much draw would I need to get a decent bust/head shot using a non tele 240mm lens? Would I get away with it on a Toyo 45A without a extension back?

Cheers.

BTW, my current go to for Large format portraits at the moment, Tariq Tarey, uses 180mm lenses. He gets nice torso and up shots with his kit.

If

Interesting question Hoffy, pulled out the Toyo 45G, placed a 250mm W Fujinon (non telephoto) and worked on close focusing to get a 400mm object in a vertical presentation in the focus area one would use for portraits, give or take, on the ground glass.

Decided to use my hacksaw which is almost exactly 400mm long. The picture of the hacksaw is cropped to represent what was on the ground glass, give or take.

Actual bellows extension was exactly 235mm between the standards. Your camera may be a bit different for actual bellows extension, but it wouldn't be too much different.

From the front of the lens to the hacksaw is approximately 1325mm.

I could have gone closer, but realistically this is about where I do bust shots.

For what it is worth, I have used (still have) a Linhof Schneider Kreuznach Tele-Arton f/5.6 250mm lens for doing portrait shots. I picked this lens up on a whim for use on my Shen Hao 4x5" wooden folder camera to do portraits on the road. It is alright, I used it for about 3-4 years specifically for that purpose. But, if you can, I would suggest a standard long focal length lens works better. At least in my case it has; wanna buy a Tele_Arton 250mm

Since replacing the Tele-Arton with the 250mm Fujinon, I haven't looked at the Tele-Arton.

Mick.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Portrait_003.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	168558

Name:	Portrait_002.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	168557

Name:	Portrait_001.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	168556

Nice to see you are still around Mick! I haven't seen responses from you on a forum for a while (but I haven't been looking too hard either....)

That is the kind of response I was after. According to the stats, a 45AII can facilitate a 300mm lens. How this translates in close focusing subjects, I have no idea. I'm still new to this game!

I am assuming the Fujinon you are using is a Tele?

Like all the cool kids, I am looking for a as fast a lens as possible, so I can get that minimal DOF that seems to be the fashion of the day (I say that in jest, but yes, that is the exact look that I am after). At least I know I could get a 240mm standard lens and it should work.

Hoffy, I am not using a telephoto Fujinon.

It is a Fujinon W f/6.3/250 lens.

Just like this.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=f...V19ZWQRAlj7cM:

Mick.