Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new into LF: 4x5 Camera and lens recommendation

Re: new into LF: 4x5 Camera and lens recommendation

[QUOTE]Welcome, Ra![/[QUOTE]

Thank you Peter.

First, with the lenses you have: There is a shutter speed tester available for iPhone and Android, developed by Lukas Fritz in Germany--
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shut...560154244?mt=8
    and
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...er_speed&hl=en
    As soon as I solve my question on the polarity of the shutter, this will be very useful.
    Thanks a lot !!

Second, you might look into Chamonix cameras. I have the 45N-2 and it is the best I've owned in terms of workmanship and ease of use. Very simple; some here would say too simple. (I've owned an old Arca-Swiss, Ikeda, 2 Wisners.) With the extension accessory I can use my Nikkor M 300mm f9 lens using the standard bellows. Yes, this just one person's experience and opinion!
    I took a look at the Chamonix. What I read is that their movements are more limited, specially in the back. This is why I have a preference for the Shen Hao

BUT, there are many, many options re cameras.
    This is exactly my problem :-)

Third, whether your next lens is a 150, or other, look at the lenses you most commonly use in your other formats. Convert those focal lengths to equivalents in 4x5. This might give you some places from which to start. For example, I purchased a 90mm f8 Fujinon years ago, but I find that I seldom use it. If I had thought about it some more, considered what I used when I shot 35mm, I might have skipped that lens!
    In 35mm this would be between 35mm and 45mm (115mm to 150mm in LF if I am not mistaking)

This forum has been for me like a library populated by research librarians! I hope you have the same experience. And I hope that you can link up with other large format photographers in your country!
    Thanks exactly the idea.
    A friend of mine has a Toyo field with a 115mm that I have managed once ... this was my full experience in LF. But as someone said, the longest trip starts with on step.

I've been using various 4x5 cameras for nearly 70 years. I have 4x5 Linhof Technika, Nagaoka, Crown Graphic, Busch Pressman, and some monorail cameras (In addition to many 9x12 cm folders).
    Based on your requirements (and location) I'm sure that a good Linhof Technica would meet your needs. (No separate wide-angle bellows needed for a Technika).
    Recommend a Model V or Master. Be sure that the bellows is in good condition -- they do deteriorate and are expensive to replace.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Hi rallodi,

If you want a 4x5 to go hiking with a backpack, and looking at your well thought out requirements- I'd look at the Linhof Technikardan (I had the 6x9 for years and loved it), with some very light- weight process lenses in the range of 150/210/240 like G Clarons or Rodenstock/ Nikon equivalents. Even with f9 maximum apertures, you'll have enough light to focus with a dark cloth. I've hiked this rig up the Picos de Europa in my youth, no problems.
    Hello.

I definitely have to check it. Thanks for the information.

You'll need a wide lens too- but that's up to you- 90 is wide on 4x5, but some like a 65.
    You are in Germany, so you are already in the best place to find this new or second hand. Try these guys- http://www.greiner-photo.de or eBay.
    Thanks again for the tip.

I use a Schneider loupe to focus.
    This was my other alternative.
    You guys have convinced me already.

4x5 Fidelity Film holders are standard for camera backs- I have 10- it saves changing film on location and carrying a changing bag.
    You don't need a viewfinder with a 4x5 camera. YMMV.
    Understood.

Buy yourself a good spot meter- Sekonic still make a great one.
    I have two good gossen spots (Gossen Spot and startlite).

Good luck!!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    I've been using various 4x5 cameras for nearly 70 years. I have 4x5 Linhof Technika, Nagaoka, Crown Graphic, Busch Pressman, and some monorail cameras (In addition to many 9x12 cm folders).
    Based on your requirements (and location) I'm sure that a good Linhof Technica would meet your needs. (No separate wide-angle bellows needed for a Technika).
    Recommend a Model V or Master. Be sure that the bellows is in good condition -- they do deteriorate and are expensive to replace.
    Good suggestion. But you also need to make sure it is mechanically in good shape as well. Repairs are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Camera: I'd get a used wooden Wista or any of it's clones. Best bang for the buck! - it should handle a 90 mm lens, if you need wider, Get a Sinar F2!
    Lens: I'd get a 210 f5.6-6.3 in any of it's iterations in a Copal shutter. They're basically giving them away at auction.
    Holders, yes, get some-Fidelity or Lisco or Regal as long as they're plastic.

L
    Thanks a lot Luis.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Noted ! Thanks also for the tip.
    I need to check it.

Huub

When it comes to lenses, the consesus is more or less that almost all lenses that have been produced over the past 60, 70 years from Fuji, Nikon, Rodenstock and Schneider and possibly also from other makers like Topcor are more then good enough for most of us photographers. I would recommend to do a read on the home page of this forum to get some more information and then add a 150mm and a 90mm to your collection to have a nice set that covers your criteria. Image circle would be my prime selection criterium, followed by filter size, as i do have a complete filter set on 67mm and i don't want to go bigger. Multi coating makes it a bit easier to shoot against the sun, but a good lenshood will help a lot with single coated lenses.

Also: comparisons of lenses between formats is of limited value. When browsing through is forum you will find numerous entries about it. But the only real proof is shooting with a set of lenses for a while and work form there. Large format lenses are cheap these days and for a few hunderd euro's you can always add something new to your collection.

One of the great things about large format is that almost anything can be made to fit everything. This is especially true for film holders. All modern holders fit on almost all modern camera's of the same size. And modern means one that is made after the war. Any 4x5 holder from Linhof, Toyo, Lisco, Riteway et cetera will fit these backs and do their job nicely, unles they are broken of course. And by the way: also 9x12 holders will fit as will various rollfilm holders, making it possible to shoot 120 film.

Hi,

I drove this road three times now and ended up with a Chamonix 45n2 which seems to me the best solution for a beginning in LF.
    I had a old MPP form UK, than a beautifull Shen Hao, both have been sold after a while.
    Now I'm able to compare my experiences from all the three cameras and the Chamonix is the best of all.
    I got mine with 4 lenes, 58, 75, 135 and 250mm and I can go on with all of them.
    With the Shen Hao I had probs with wide angle lenses and I think mechanics are too fiddly.
    After getting the Chamonix I needed some spares and a little help form the manufacturer and this was due to Hugo the best experience I ever had with a device.

If you often carry your camera on the tripod while moving from spot to spot, a Technikardan or Canham DLC45 would be good choices. If you nearly always take your camera off the tripod when moving from spot to spot, it would be hard to beat a Technika (they set up quickly).

jeff