Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use a Berlebach 8023 with an 8x10?

Anyone use a Berlebach 8023 with an 8x10?

I have a Kodak Master View and getting tired of my gigantic old Bogen studio tripod. I would need a lot more steroids on long walks with that thing. Someone locally is selling a Berlebach 8023 and I have the Gitzo low profile or maybe the model below that one.

Will the 8023 hold that pretty good? Not going to Antartic or Salinas Valley (WINDY!!!), just your basic hiking around kinda thing. Probably try to hold it own with a hook and a bag.

Re: Anyone use a Berlebach 8023 with an 8x10?

Nope I use a Ries. Much sturdier than my Berlebach.

I wouldn't even put lightweight (8lb) camera on a Berlebach

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Nope I use a Ries. Much sturdier than my Berlebach.
    Thanks! The guy txted me back and said it was still available. Just googled the specs, said it was 21 lb limit. I don't seem to know how heavy the Master View is right now. I don't even have a scale at home!

That Berlebach looks okay for medium format but too light for an 8x10.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I wouldn't even put lightweight (8lb) camera on a Berlebach
    Thanks! Googling around says the MasterView is ~10Kg, and max capacity of the 8023 is 10kg. Oh well. Looked like a great price. Maybe I should look into a carbon fiber

No. The tripod is borderline. Go for heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    No. The tripod is borderline. Go for heavier.
    I actually don't mind the tripod I have now, it's just that it's darn heavy and I want to (have dreams) of carrying it around somewhere. Right now, I have a jogging stroller that I carry it on. But my dog (English Bulldog) thinks it's hers now and has dog hair all over it. No bueno around film holders.

I was thinking of looking for one of those golf bag carts on craigslist, you know the ones with 3 wheels.

I'm also thinking about the f.64 bag and carrying a tripod. There are some magnificent heights here in SoCal that I mountain bike in and would love to be able to carry my 8x10 up there. I think a jogging stroller or a golf rolling cart will not make it. Just doing the homework now on what I can take with me.

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    Thanks! Googling around says the MasterView is ~10Kg, and max capacity of the 8023 is 10kg. Oh well. Looked like a great price. Maybe I should look into a carbon fiber
    Are you sure you got that right and you didn't get your units mixed up? I could see 10 pounds for the Master View, but 10KG is 22 pounds, and not even the Calumet C1 approaches that.

My Manfrotto 055 supposedly holds almost 20 pounds, and the 3047 head specs OK for my 8x10 in theory. I can put my Ansco view (12 pounds) on it and as long as I keep the centerpost down (which is the structural weak spot, I think) it will work in my house, but I'm less confident in it providing a stable base with a little wind. I suspect, anyway, that the issue with any tripod of substance has less to do with gross capacity before collapse, and more to do with vibration, and that most of that problem in a normal tripod has to do with what's happening at the top. I have hardly better stability with a massive crutch-legged Bogen with their largest 3057? head, and I think that's all about what's going on around the neck, not the legs.

The Ries doesn't have any neck at all, right? The camera sits right on the platform that the legs attach to. That's got to be the most stable plan, I would think.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

I have an 8023 (discontinued) as a back/ spare for friends and no way in hell would I put an 8x0 on those sticks. My cameras sit on Ries J or A series tripods.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...