Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10x8 Instant from Impossible

Toyo45FieldCam

Re: 10x8 Instant from Impossible

Hi Fred /Dannir.

Yes , good question. Not having actually seen an actual Impossible 10x8 pack I just assumed it was like the it's Polaroid predecessor.
    IE two components. A neg in a sleeve, loaded into a holder, then manually sandwiched with a sheet of paper before processing.
    So is Impossible just one sheet with chemistry attached? Exposed then processed as per Polaroid? hence the reversed image?
    Thanks Tim

There are still two components similar to the Polaroid film but the IP doesn't get peeled (unless you want to lift or flip). The difference is that the IP receiver sheet is a transparent film that the image is transferred onto, hence the flipped orientation, (or sandwiched with) vs Polaroid's paper receiver.

I've edited a previous post where I mistakenly called it integral, which it's obviously not. I meant to say that what comes out of the processor is the final product, for many users. That it can be peeled is a bonus (like lifts with previous Polaroid films for example).
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Fred - you are incorrect. Peeling Impossible film will not allow you to flip the image unless you do an emulsion lift. When you peel it apart, you are left with a non transparent image with a solid white backing. The documentation that Impossible provides instruct you to peel it apart to aid drying and prevent degradation of the image from humidity. The only way they suggest not peeling it apart is to "dry age" it - by sealing it in an envelope with desiccant for a month.

I shot some of the 8x10 Impossible Project Color film and got decent results from running it through the processor and then sticking it in a tub of rice for a month. Color is exactly the same as when it was processed. I didn't like peeling it apart because some of the emulsion can get "thinner" or more transparent if not peeled correctly.

If I didn't put the polaroid in a container with rice I noticed the blacks get cooler and the highlights get a little magenta

When I peel, I flip it over and place it onto another backing (or same sheet) or hang it as is. Emulsion is now facing out but if dried shld be fine. Haven' checked on peels I've done in the past. Hope that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by dannirr View Post
    Fred - you are incorrect. Peeling Impossible film will not allow you to flip the image unless you do an emulsion lift. When you peel it apart, you are left with a non transparent image with a solid white backing. The documentation that Impossible provides instruct you to peel it apart to aid drying and prevent degradation of the image from humidity. The only way they suggest not peeling it apart is to "dry age" it - by sealing it in an envelope with desiccant for a month.
    That's odd, I remember peels resulting in a transparent film with the exposed image on it. But regardless, one tends to lose a bit of emulsion.

this video explains it better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mNEluAOzgA

Well Fred,. that video does show that you can flip it after peeling - I have to say, the few I've done (about 10) all peeled with most the white stuff coming up with the peel! I must need better technique.

haha, when I did my first peels, it was brutal. tried leaving it longer etc., haven't tried the hair dryer trick yet. I'd try more but at about $20 per sheet, I'm nervous about it lol