Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best film holders?

Re: Best film holders?

To Richards point, molded plastic holders have a light tight lap over at the flap end where wood holders just do not have that option. As a result a piece of black tape over both seems of the flap end are advised as is the dark cloth over the rear end of the camera. On my 8x10, 5x7 and 4x5 cameras with plastic holders the dark cloth is not necessary. With 8x20 and 11x14 and wooden holders the black tape and dark cloth is standard operating procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    I have used the typical Lisco/Fidgrafmaticselity ones. But most of the time I use Grafmatics.
    Me, too. I have many 9x12 Linhof holders, but also use the 4x5 Grafmatics.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I find the prejudice against wood holders confusing. I've never had a problem with one, and they're light. I have many, and I don't think any are warped a bit (where did that idea come from?) If one was, I could definitely afford to throw it out, too. Often I have bought ones that are nearly new. They're incredibly cheap. And they're wood, not plastic. They are my preferred holder, by far.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

This is interesting to me as I recently bought some of the modern 4x5 holders which I think are Riteway? They have large handles on the slides, and a button operated locking mechanism. I find them quite difficult to load, and I was about to post asking if others find the same, when this thread appeared. I also have Fidelity Elite, and Toyo, both of which are easy to load.
    Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
    This is interesting to me as I recently bought some of the modern 4x5 holders which I think are Riteway? They have large handles on the slides, and a button operated locking mechanism. I find them quite difficult to load, and I was about to post asking if others find the same, when this thread appeared. I also have Fidelity Elite, and Toyo, both of which are easy to load.
    Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I have those Riteway holders - what I found was that there a sticky patch in the hinge where the tape held it together and the film could snag on it. Just rubbing the join with my thumb got rid of the excess adhesive and cured the problem. I find then just as easy to load as my Fidelity and Toyo holders now.

Re: the Toyo stink

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    Brand new Toyo holders had a reputation for stinking something awful a year or two ago.
    I like my Toyo 4x5 holders. I wish I could afford Toyo 8x10 holders. I bought my Toyo's slightly used off 'Ebay and they don't stink. Well, at least to my nose. I admit that I don't have a very good smeller. Now if I could just get the stink out of my photography!

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Key View Post
    I have those Riteway holders - what I found was that there a sticky patch in the hinge where the tape held it together and the film could snag on it. Just rubbing the join with my thumb got rid of the excess adhesive and cured the problem. I find then just as easy to load as my Fidelity and Toyo holders now.
    Thanks for the info. Mine are loaded just now (after a struggle), but I will follow your tip once empty. I thought it was just me
    Alex.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    To Richards point, molded plastic holders have a light tight lap over at the flap end where wood holders just do not have that option. As a result a piece of black tape over both seems of the flap end are advised as is the dark cloth over the rear end of the camera. On my 8x10, 5x7 and 4x5 cameras with plastic holders the dark cloth is not necessary. With 8x20 and 11x14 and wooden holders the black tape and dark cloth is standard operating procedure.
    Could you describe the "light tight lap" in a little more detail? I have a wooden holder and a plastic holder next to each other and not sure where to look for that "light tight lap" on the plastic holder.

thanks,
    Greg

Although, I am 'by no means' a Film Holder snob...

I recently found some really, nice NIB GRAFLEX 4x5 Cut Film Holders by...
    Riteway GRAPHIC (A subsidiary of General Precision Equipment Corporation -- GPE).

They are Three (3) to the Box and they were Manufactured in Rochester, N.Y.
    Most definitely, they are the 'Heaviest and most Solid' 4x5 Film Holders in my inventory.
    --
    It would be interesting to know... If anyone else is perhaps familiar with these 'respective' Film Holders?
    *They were originally, sold to me and advertised as being 'Military Surplus' Film Holders (The box itself is labelled/dated 7/68)?
    --
    Thank-you!

-Tim.
    ________

If size and weight are an issue, you can't beat MIDO film holders. About five of them are about the size and weight of ONE "typical" holder. In some ways they are similar to the "QUICK PAK" films -- or whatever they are called.

As far as I know, the MIDOs were only made in 4x5. There were at least two models. The first is not designated, but came in two almost identical versions -- difficult to describe the difference here. The second model was larger and heavier and more like a "typical" holder, and called the MIDO II.