Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Filters---8, or 12? or 15?

Drew Wiley

Re: Filters---8, or 12? or 15?

Did you find filters yet, John? I ran into my ole stash of 77mm glass Tiffens, incl #12 yellow, all in fine shape. You'd just need a step ring and your Stetson cowboy hat for a shade, with the XX's on the hat matched to the filter factor, as usual. If you want them just PM me your address. Free. But you might get a surplus porch cat in the package too!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Did you find filters yet, John? I ran into my ole stash of 77mm glass Tiffens, incl #12 yellow, all in fine shape. You'd just need a step ring and your Stetson cowboy hat for a shade, with the XX's on the hat matched to the filter factor, as usual. If you want them just PM me your address. Free. But you might get a surplus porch cat in the package too!
    I'd have to pass on the porch cat---I'm allergic. PM on the way
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Back in the 1970s, I was at RIT. One of my teachers (George DeWolf comes to mind but I don't think it was him) taught a double exposure technique. Part of the total exposure was made without a filter, and the other part of the exposure was made with a Wratten 25 filter. Self cocking shutter almost a necessity. You'd think that you'd get some blurs or double imaging from movement of the subject (wind) between the two exposures, but in practice just never seemed to be the case. Computing the two exposures was a pain, though final image results seemed always to be ideal and worth the exposure computations. Just passing this technique on....

Go to lone pine and use a #8 filter
    Useless

You might find this brief article helpful: Polarizer + Yellow Filter for a Natural Looking Scene

Quote Originally Posted by peter schrager View Post
    Go to lone pine and use a #8 filter
    Useless
    So what? Use a #12? #15? What do you recommend?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    You might find this brief article helpful: Polarizer + Yellow Filter for a Natural Looking Scene
    Very cool. Thanks!

I regularly use my Kodak K-1, K-2 and K-3 glass/gel filters, but then my soprano sax was made in 1928, too.

Quote Originally Posted by j.e.simmons View Post
    I regularly use my Kodak K-1, K-2 and K-3 glass/gel filters, but then my soprano sax was made in 1928, too.
    Cool! My Buescher Alto is a 1926.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    I can vouch for the yellow + polariser giving a negative the resembles fairly reasonably what you see.

I have been using it off and on for a couple of years, after Ken suggested it on this forum.

Martin