Thread: Focusing With The Chamonix 045N

Focusing With The Chamonix 045N

Iv'e had the Chamonix 045N for about 10 months now and although I enjoy using the camera, there is one aspect which I find difficult which is focusing for close ups.

My usual approach is to..

Set up camera in roughly the position I need it
    Move the rear standard back and forth until the subject is is focus
    Fine tune with the centre focus knob.

Moving the rear standard back and forth until the subject is is focus is the part I find difficult as I find it fiddly to move the rear standard with my head under the cloth.

Is this the recommended approach or I am doing it wrong.

Re: Focusing With The Chamonix 045N

Quote Originally Posted by IanBarber View Post
    Iv'e had the Chamonix 045N for about 10 months now and although I enjoy using the camera, there is one aspect which I find difficult which is focusing for close ups.

My usual approach is to..

Set up camera in roughly the position I need it
    Move the rear standard back and forth until the subject is is focus
    Fine tune with the centre focus knob.

Moving the rear standard back and forth until the subject is is focus is the part I find difficult as I find it fiddly to move the rear standard with my head under the cloth.

Is this the recommended approach or I am doing it wrong.

You have some alternatives to a plain cloth, one is BTZS Focus Hood ,

Sinar have a range of focusing viewfinders, search "sinar reflex" at ebay, there is one with bellows that may be adapted to the 045N with some DIY work.

You have to feel confortable under cloth... then everything is easier.

It sounds as if your cloth is too small forcing you to be too close to the ground glass. I prefer a cloth at least 4'x5' for a 4x5 camera. This provides ample room for me to move about more comfortably under the cloth. I have never been comfortable with such alterations as the BTZS Focus hood, but many people are. In order to get more used to focusing, try setting up the camera looking out a window, with nothing bright behind you. Focus on outdoor objects and then on the window screen w/o changing the camera position. You are correct in using the rear of the camera to focus.
    If you are trying for a 1:1 image, use a tape to place the lens 2x the focal length from the subject, then extend the camera so the lens is the same distance from the GG. Make minor adjustments under the cloth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    It sounds as if your cloth is too small forcing you to be too close to the ground glass. I prefer a cloth at least 4'x5' for a 4x5 camera. This provides ample room for me to move about more comfortably under the cloth. I have never been comfortable with such alterations as the BTZS Focus hood, but many people are. In order to get more used to focusing, try setting up the camera looking out a window, with nothing bright behind you. Focus on outdoor objects and then on the window screen w/o changing the camera position. You are correct in using the rear of the camera to focus.
    If you are trying for a 1:1 image, use a tape to place the lens 2x the focal length from the subject, then extend the camera so the lens is the same distance from the GG. Make minor adjustments under the cloth.

Thanks Jim

I will try as you suggested and I like the tip for the 1:1 focus, that might at least put me in the ball park without having to fight with the cloth

as a new Chamonix owner I'm glad to have the 4X5 reflex viewer which is very comfortable on the 45N camera.
    Much better than doing with a magnifier on the groundglass.
    Last edited by martinf5; 11-Aug-2017 at 07:09.

Foamer

I always focus moving the front standard.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I always focus moving the front standard.

Kent in SD
    But, the OP asked how to focus close-ups. IMHO, for that kind of work, yes, you can focus with the front standard but the problem is that you are changing the position of the lens in three-dimensional space which therefore changes the composition and image size. So for close-ups, once you have roughed in the cropping and composition then use the back standard to achieve critical focus.
    Last edited by AtlantaTerry; 13-Aug-2017 at 01:41. Reason: Cleaning up my prose.