Thread: Tripod for 8x10

Tripod for 8x10

I just got a new Canham 8x10. I have a Ries wooden tripod but I don't keep it locally (long story). So, I need another tripod. I could get another Ries, bit the newer carbon fiber tripods are a lot smaller.

Any recommendations on a tripod and head fore this camera?

Thank you

Re: Tripod for 8x10

They aren't cheap, but I have really liked my Really Right Stuff tripod (I also have a Ries that I love) and head and would buy it again without a second thought. . I have the 40 and 55 heads and they are both really good. The tripod is light and really sturdy. Like I said you will spend a few dollars, but it is worth it. They have great customer service if you run into any issues.

Thank you. I like the tripod - question about the 55 head: is it easy to access the knobs with a big 8x10 camera mounted? The manfrotto with levers seemed like it would be easier?

Personally, I tried the BH-55 head with my 8x10 Deardorff and didn't like it at all for that camera; absolutely love it for my MF cameras. I have used a Gitzo G1570M for years on top of a carbon fiber tripod. This head holds the camera rock solid at any angle and the whole setup is fairly light; vs my Ries A100 with the usual heavy head one normally buys for those legs. For me, I like the separate controls of the Gitzo head.

FLM CP-30 with the 48 FTR ballhead is a must have; You can contact Ari on the forum to discuss on that.

I love my Berlebach...
    "I believe there is nothing more disturbing than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept!" (Ansel Adams)

https://philippe.grunchec-photographe.over-blog.com/

Here are some shots of the clearance with my Deardorff on the 55 head. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4675.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	167988Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4674.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	167989

The biggest issue with the head for me is the ballhead. It makes one directional changes tough, but once it is locked it is a rock. the drag on the head works well too.

The best head I have for heavy cameras: http://www.riestripod.com/product/the-a250-head/

Easy, get the Ries J100-2 with one of their heads!

I have a some old miller sticks mounted with a gitzo G1570M head that is great for my Kodak 2D. If I were ever in a pinch...i can also mount the camera on my gitzo series three carbon fiber with my G1576 head and it is solid and lighter to carry. But I usually use this setup for my 4x5 Ebony.