Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Solar eclipse on August 21 - photography ideas?

Solar eclipse on August 21 - photography ideas?

As it turns out I may have a chance to go camping in Oregon the week of the August 21st solar eclipse!

I certainly plan to do some general photography using my 4x5 but would be interested in taking some pictures of the eclipse itself and the reactions of people as it happens.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Extreme ND filter? Eye protection for viewing the ground glass?

Re: Solar eclipse on August 21 - photography ideas?

Read all you can on solar eclipse photography well ahead of time. Rather than view the ground glass while wearing proper solar glasses, lock the focus on infinity and use a proper solar filter over the camera lens. Any improvised extreme ND filter will be more difficult to use and will likely render poorer images than the right filter. I have successfully photographed solar eclipses near sunset with crossed linear polarizer filters through a lens that could accurately be set on infinity. The lens was covered except for the moments needed to make the exposure. Framing was done by centering the shadow of the lens around the lens mount.

Here you go. More than you ever wanted to know by a very good astrophysicist photographer: http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/photograph-the-sun/

Tim Sandstrom

I plan to spend the scant two minutes or so without worrying about f/stops

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

You had better be in survival mode and have enough food, water and fuel because it will be gridlock everywhere you go. Be self contained and I hope you are not on the coast because there could be fog or worse yet a forest fire? Hope all goes well for you. I'm staying home.

Thanks for the ideas - I'll consider the week a success if I can get there and back. If I manage to take some images, that will be icing on the cake. Thankfully the invite was to car camp on private property so I imagine there won't be any lack of supplies as we will come prepared!

Check the weather forecast carefully. According to the Portland TV weather prognosticators, the weather changes next Monday and we enter a cycle that is characterized for rain/overcast and for eastern Oregon, rain with thunderstorms. We have seen this weather in past years in late August. That being said, I still will go to a private ranch in eastern Oregon....
    Don

I think the real story to cover will be the rank amateurs blinding themselves by looking directly at the sun with cheap knockoff counterfeit "eclipse glasses" or with their bare eyes.
    Last edited by AtlantaTerry; 7-Aug-2017 at 18:34. Reason: Polishing my prose.

any way to tell if your glasses are nock offs? link?
    ~nicholas
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    I think the real story to cover will be the rank amateurs blinding themselves by looking directly at the sun with cheap knockoff counterfeit "eclipse glasses" or with their bare eyes.
    edit:
    I found this, as a a start. it links to a list of reputable dealers/brand as well: https://www.space.com/37698-solar-ec...ety-check.html
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

LOL!

When I was a kid the good Holy Cross sisters instructed us to make a pinhole in a cardboard box and tape a piece of typing paper inside the end opposite the pinhole, hold the box over our heads with our backs to the sun and watch the eclipse being projected on the typing paper.

I think that was my first introduction to the wonders of the pinhole.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White