Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 8x10 Ground Glass Focus is Crap

Re: 8x10 Ground Glass Focus is Crap

I've had some GGs that did not "snap" into focus because they were coarsely ground for a better aerial view.
    The coarse grind shows its shortcomings when a high-powered loupe is used (8x or higher).
    Since I use a 10x loupe, I had my existing Gas ground even finer so that the grain was very minuscule.
    This gave me a darker GG, i.e., I couldn't see much in the corners from 18 inches away, but focusing with my loupe was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlowski6132 View Post
    So, back to shooting 8x10 after a break. I don't remember it being so hard to focus on the GG. I've used two different types today and I just can't see anything really sharp on the GG.

I don't believe it's a function of the loupe, or my eyesight and I can't believe both GG I used are BOTH crappy (but, I guess it's possible.)

Has anyone else run into this??

thanx as always.

If your loupe is a focusable magnifier, you know... there is a ring to adjust it for your sight and for the GG thickness, if no ring...

My loupe is a cheap one, without a focus ring, so I've to separate it some 2mm from GG to see it sharp, I make contact at one side and I tilt it to separate it from GG. If your loupe is x8 you should see the glass grains, if you don't see the grains then problem is in the loupe, not in the camera lens.

Regards

It
    Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    If your loupe is a focusable magnifier, you know... there is a ring to adjust it for your sight and for the GG thickness, if no ring...

My loupe is a cheap one, without a focus ring, so I've to separate it some 2mm from GG to see it sharp, I make contact at one side and I tilt it to separate it from GG. If your loupe is x8 you should see the glass grains, if you don't see the grains then problem is in the loupe, not in the camera lens.

Regards
    A 4x loupe will easily show the gg grain if the loupe is properly adjusted to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    It

A 4x loupe will easily show the gg grain if the loupe is properly adjusted to do so.
    Hello Bob, thanks for pointing it. My Cambo GGs are coarser than my Sinar ones, I was not sure that an smooth GG could show grains with x4, in special with f/9 glasses or low light. I've ben focusing with x8, but as I get more experience I perhaps consider x4 a better choice for most situations.

How about a fresnel GG?

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Hello Bob, thanks for pointing it. My Cambo GGs are coarser than my Sinar ones, I was not sure that an smooth GG could show grains with x4, in special with f/9 glasses or low light. I've ben focusing with x8, but as I get more experience I perhaps consider x4 a better choice for most situations.
    It doesn't matter what speed lens you are using. You focus the eyepiece of the loupe on the grain of the gg, best and easiest to do with no lens on the camera. Once adjusted it stays adjusted unless you change the gg or Fresnel. Nothing to do with your lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    best and easiest to do with no lens on the camera. Once adjusted it stays adjusted unless you change the gg or Fresnel.
    thanks for the tip !