A few messages down somebody asked why anyone would use large format slide film rather than negative film IF the final goal was a print. Most of the responses gave reasons that didn't seem relevant to the question - e.g. an 8x10 on slide film looks great on the light table, it's the industry standard, clients expect it, etc. etc. After using black and white film exclusively for many years I've become interested in doing some color work in 4x5 and possibly 8x10 and I've been wondering which type of film to start with.

So here's the question: if I don't have to please a client, if I don't care how slide film looks on a light table or anywhere else, if I don't need to match colors to a product, if I don't care about what has been done in the past or how magazines like to receive photographs, if industry standards are unimportant, if I won't be using a commercial lab to make the print and instead will scan the film and make a giclee print (oops, I mean an inkjet print : - )) if none of those things matter at all to me and and if the only thing I care about is making the best possible color print for my own personal purposes is there any reason to use transparency film?