Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodak / Creo iQsmart 2 Oxygen workflow question

Kodak / Creo iQsmart 2 Oxygen workflow question

Hi folks,

Two weeks ago I got me the iQscan2 scanner with 2.6.3. version of the software. I'm having a hard time finding out how to set up my software preferences for faster workflow. I want to be able to work on images that are pre-scanned in preview browser while having others in the queue - either being scanned or 'zoomed' for further sharpness adjustments.

Now, I have to admit that the problem must be me since this was working before (only once though). Apparently, I did change something in prefs (or elsewhere) and since that time the preview browser or any other windows are locked while scanning (or 'zooming') is in progress.
    It's been a week I keep trying all possible settings, going through manual again and again without a luck. Also, I never used Apple before, so maybe the culprit lays in insufficient knowledge of the OS X environment?

I'd greatly appreciate if you could share your workflow settings, especially if it involves having operational preview browser while the scanner is on the move.

Thanks again,

Vlad

PS
    Attached are screenshots of my current prefs. I think I did try all possible modes already.

Attachment 167322
    Attachment 167323
    Attachment 167324
    Attachment 167325
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails File_000.jpg   File_001.jpeg   File_002.jpeg   File_003.jpeg  
    Last edited by vlad; 18-Jul-2017 at 01:16.

Re: Kodak / Creo iQsmart 2 Oxygen workflow question

There's something wrong with the links you posted.

I have the same machine and my opinion of the software is, well, not very good. The way I approach it is to do absolutely as little as possible in the oXYgen software, just get the image scanned and then do everything else in Photoshop. The scanner is outstanding, the software - not so much!!! One example - if I try to scan a neg as 16 bit B&W the software says the file is too big, but if I switch to 16 bit color it's perfectly happy to scan it even though it's a MUCH bigger file. And the window that shows the queue usually disappears on its own, so I look at the activity light on the scanner to tell if the scan is finished. Crappy, fragile software; wonderful scanner.

Hi there Jim, thank you for replay.

I tried to reupload them screenshots.
    So you're saying the preview window is active while the scanner is working, and you are able to do adjustments on all the other crops that are prescaned. That's exactly what I want to achieve.
    I very much agree, the scanner yielads great results, and especially I love the fact there is no newton rings. I also read somewhere about limited oxygen ability to do any good adjustments. I shall perhaps do the same, and I see the benefit being at much faster workflow then..

You can also try contacting Michael Streeter at Genesys (sp.?).
    He's extremely helpful, and he's an authority on all things Creo/Scitex.
    I have an Eversmart Pro, but what Jim says about keeping it simple is absolutely true.
    I apply zero sharpening, zero color balance, almost nothing in fact. All I do is pick white point and black point, then scan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    You can also try contacting Michael Streeter at Genesys (sp.?).
    He's extremely helpful, and he's an authority on all things Creo/Scitex.
    I have an Eversmart Pro, but what Jim says about keeping it simple is absolutely true.
    I apply zero sharpening, zero color balance, almost nothing in fact. All I do is pick white point and black point, then scan.
    +1 on Michael. He'll have the best answer for you and quickly.

Ari, from my testing I think that you do need to use the proper scanner color profile and Adobe RGB color space for best results if you are scanning color negatives or slides.

Pali

Gentlemen, thank you very much for sharing your inputs. I'll try to reach Michael and come back to archive the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pali K View Post
    Ari, from my testing I think that you do need to use the proper scanner color profile and Adobe RGB color space for best results if you are scanning color negatives or slides.

Pali
    Hi Pali,
    I'll certainly take your word for it; I've not done as much extensive testing as you have, and I've not applied profiles either when scanning colour.
    Also, you and I may be using slightly different software, since I have the Eversmart that is non-upgradeable to 16-bit.

Alas, Genesis Equipment is no more, but I believe you can reach Michael at (602) 431-9779.

Rich

Here is the new website and contact information for Michael. http://www.scansolutionsonline.com

I think the number Rich gave still works and goes directly to Michael.

Pali

Thanks for the update guys, much appreciated!