Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Set-up to photograph for sale / auction

Re: Set-up to photograph for sale / auction

+1 for sheets.
    or black blankets.

Natural wood works nice, a sheet or two of birch ply for example.

An open door for light and a tripod for greater depth of field.
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

if there's photo store in your area, a roll of white seamless goes a long way and what I use. often times it's window light. otherwise a large white sheet will work. you can press the wrinkles out or bunch it up for that look
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Re: Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    LOL! I totally missed what Jac was asking about! PRODUCT shots, not people shots. DUH on my part!
    I thought he was trying to sell his cameras at a backyard auction

I use a folding table that has a white plastic top with a sheet (32x40") of foamcore for the backdrop. The table is 30 inches wide, plenty for most of what I need to photograph, serves a number of other purposes and stows behind a bookcase when not in use.

The lighting is just natural window light, there is a window behind me and one to the right in the room I use. I control the light with the horizontal blinds, the light from behind (main light, if you will) is bounced off of the ceiling. The camera I use is a Canon Rebel, the lens is a 15-85mm. There isn't a lot of light, the exposures are usually from 3 to 15 seconds at ISO 800 and f/22, a tripod is always used, obviously.

After final cropping and some cleanup in PhotoShop, I have an image that is as good as 99% of what you will see on eBay, etc. I've used this setup several thousand times (sometimes with some modifications) for cameras, computers, motorcycle parts and guitars.

I agree with the 53" roll of white seamless paper, 2-stands, crossbar (maybe a 2x2), and a table. You can use sheets and other stuff, of course, but then you'll be cutting the product out in Photoshop. It's not hard, but it does add time.

I have a light tent, and it works great from smaller objects, but would be a bit of a pain with studio cameras, and you don't need a white tent for that kind of thing.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Mines pretty simple and straight forward. Photos are a little rough.

This basic design can be made to any reasonable size. The base in the photos is 3/4" particle supported on two saw horses.

What makes for excellent cloth material is artists canvas. It's inexpensive, durable, and it's relatively heavy. The piece shown is 60" wide and cost me about $5 or $6 several years ago. If it gets dirty, turn it over.

Two Lowel lights work well for lighting.

Years ago, we purchased a Canon G12. With its articulated screen, it works very well for photographing items for sale.

All of this was very easy to construct and can be torn down when not in use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Overall.jpg   Side.jpg   Dowel.jpg   Foot.jpg  

I use the tailgate on the Model A station wagon. Lay the black side of a dark cloth down and let the late evening light do it's work. Try not to over complicate. Not sure a perfect seamless background adds any$thing to the bottom line. Your stuff is ecclectic enough without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    I use the tailgate on the Model A station wagon.
    Ah! Now why didn't I think of that? I suppose I can place the items on the Lamborgini's rear wing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    I use the tailgate on the Model A station wagon. Lay the black side of a dark cloth down and let the late evening light do it's work. Try not to over complicate. Not sure a perfect seamless background adds any$thing to the bottom line. Your stuff is ecclectic enough without it.
    Jim, I tried this as soon as I saw your post. The dark cloth was cheap, and evening light is free, but I couldn't find a Model A wagon in decent condition for under 20K.

A setup like this doesn't need to be elaborate. Acceptable, versus professional quality photos are sufficient.

I purchased about a 60" wide, 6ft long (or whatever length) of canvas from an art store. It's ideal: minimal cost and a nice off-white color. It's connected to a dowel that spans between two, vertical support pieces of 1x2's at about 4 ft high. The cloth drapes down, gradually going from vertical (at the dowel) to horizontal on a table. I nailed horizontal feet to each of these vertical 1x2's so that it stands up. When not in use, I roll the cloth up on the dowel.

I use two Lowel DP lights on either side of the camera that have fiberglass, gauze diffusers placed in front of each. (Lowel has special holders for this purpose. You can get the diffusers inexpensively from Rosco filters.) DP's are professional quality lights; but, something simpler would probably work just as well.

I have a nice 35mm camera with lenses, etc. But, I've found the most convenient camera to use is a point and shoot. Simple and easy; my wife has a Canon G12 that works great. (And, a light weight tripod.)

Good luck with your marketing endeavor.