Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silvestri 6x Tilting Loupe experiences?

Silvestri 6x Tilting Loupe experiences?

Am considering purchasing one. Before shelling out $140.00, would love to know of other owners experiences with this Loupe. How well does the tilt work?

thanks in advance

Re: Silvestri 6x Tilting Loupe experiences?

I bought one from B&H.

Screwed around with it for a while. Decided it was a lot of effort for no benefit.
    Somebody got an idea for a product that folks would think was advantageous.

Returned it for a refund.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    I bought one from B&H.

Screwed around with it for a while. Decided it was a lot of effort for no benefit.
    Somebody got an idea for a product that folks would think was advantageous.

Returned it for a refund.

- Leigh
    thank you,
    The magnifier just sounded a little too good, and I wondered why no one else had manufactured and marketed a tilting loupe over the past 50 years.
    Greg

I use one. I like the 6x, but truthfully I never needed the tilting feature. I got mine for around $60, IIRC, but I know I wouldn't be interested in paying the current $140 fare for another. There are plenty of good focusing magnifiers, just find one you like using---IIRC Ron Wisner mentioned using a linen tester in lieu of a loupe.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Lachlan 717

The Peak 4x loupe has a square base, letting you get into corners.

This might not be powerful enough for you; I find it perfect for what I need.

http://www.peakoptics.com/index.php?...roducts_id=103
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

I think it is good practice to learn to use a loupe without the skirt near the GG, as you can tilt the loupe in the corners... The thing to watch for is knowing and looking for the brightest tilt angle, while using the grain of the GG to keep focus of the loupe on, and looking for the focus of the lens to have the highest contrast in the critical focus area (which is also the point of highest sharpness)...

Having mastered this, I then can use old small projector lenses, different raw optics/lenses, etc as cheap very good loupes and smile when I see a loupe selling for hundreds of dollars...
    (One of my main loupes I use now is the magnifing eyepiece with a big rubber eyecup from an old late 80's video camera that has been drilled out for a neck strap... And I don't use a loupe with too much magnification that merely enlarges the GG grain like I am looking outside through a textured bathroom window...) :-)

YMMV

Steve K

This is my favorite loupe: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._5x_Loupe.html

They are only available as NOS or used.

I have an opaque skirt for it. Need to see in the corners? Flip it around and free hand it. That works with most loupes.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

My favorite "loupe" happens to be a pair of 3.75 reading glasses (three bucks at Job Lots!). Works great...and I like being able to use both eyes. I do carry a regular (7X) loupe...but almost never use it. Your mileage may vary (especially if your focussing screen is not equipped with a fresnel) but you might want to give this a try!

That's a camera?

I have one and don't find myself using the tilting base. I like the size and the magnification.

The tilting feature on the Silvestri is sort of like sprinkles on a doughnut---you can't ignore them, but you don't need them either.
    Still a fine loupe however.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White