Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Why not just call it an Inkjet Print?

Why not just call it an Inkjet Print?

Steve you are welcome to use it. the funny thing when i was writing I originally spelled it as ink-o-graph! I liked the way it looked to but then I second guessed myself out of it.

C'mon let's get real : we are just wagging our tongues about different types of printing processes .

Mister Jorge is of course welcome to his opinions, however irrational or incomprehensible they may seem to others. When you are able for what ever reason retire at age 43, as he says he was able to do, you have the luxury of spending the rest of your life building an awfully tall and narrow ivory tower to live in. That is his privilege and right and more power to him.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I think inkjet/giclée prints fall into the "photo-mechanical reproduction" category of photography, much like newspaper photos or the photogravures published in Stieglitz' Camera Work, and the quality of workmanship and materials varies nearly as much.

Whether or not they are "photographs" is a matter of personal semantics, hard to pin down in an age where language evolves so quickly that yesterday's French ejaculate is today's fine-art print...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Old School Wayne

Steve (I see all the little heads nodding in agreement with you), you very eloquently show you dont even understand the argument when you bring create your little straw man arguments based on value-judgements and others knowing whats "best". We dont, and we never said we did. I may prefer one form over the other, but thats irrelevant (sp). I have always said both are entirely valid-just DIFFERENT-nothing more. Saying an inkjet isnt a photograph is no more a value judgement than saying a chair isnt a fruit. Granted, the term fauxtography does have a bit of an edge to it, but it seems well-desrved when people are misrepresenting so much.

Why not just call them Inkjet prints?"

I agree that is what they should be called. There are different types of printing and paper technologies lumped under the "inkjet" label -- printers which use dyes, printers which use pigments and at least two very different types of paper technology.

I'm not sure that what museum curators call these "ink-o-graphs" but I know for damn sure they don't call them "glicee" prints either. As I recall "Glicee" is a term that was first used by the folks at Nash Editions. What they say is that they were not aware at that time is that "glicee" is also a French slang word describing the spurt of semen during the male orgasm.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

"I'm not sure that what museum curators call these "ink-o-graphs" but I know for damn sure they don't call them "glicee" prints either."

last I saw, both MoMA and the Met were calling them plain old inkjet prints. All within the context of the Department of Photographs. But it's a rapidly evolving technology, and it's leading to rapidly evolving naming conventions. It will be a while before we see a standard.