Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why not just call it an Inkjet Print?

Why not just call it an Inkjet Print?

I thought that Archival Ink prints were Bromoils {:-)

Giclee could be a correct term, you can squirt them out one after the other.

This question was answered in the previous thread by several people and has been discussed ad nauseum here and elsewhere. To refresh your memory, some people don't like to use the term "ink jet print" because they don't feel compelled to say what type of material was used to make the print (e.g. when I made prints in the fume room I never referred to them as "Dektol prints"). Some people don't like the term because it conjures up images of something quickly run off on an office printer and so they're concerned that the time and effort often involved to make an ink jet print won't be appreciated. Some people just like to use fancy terms (e.g. "gelatin sliver print"). There are lots of reasons, do a little reading and you'll find all of them.

Then again some people do in fact call them "ink jet prints." Personally I call mine "photographs." The only time I become involved in describing the process used to print my photographs is when a serious potential buyer inquires and lately there haven't been enough of them around to worry about.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I just call them inkjet prints or prints.....probably prints more often than not. Nobody has questioned or complained yet.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

There are different inkjet processes that use very different kinds of inks (color, monochrome, dye, pigment, pure carbon, etc.) so sometimes "inkjet" isn't all that informative. A bit more description can help.

And marketing can be a genuine concern; it would be nice if potential customers didn't have the impression that you bought a $60 HP printer and just hit "print." You want them to know it's something more special, if indeed it is.

But the goal shouldn't be to confuse people into thinking it's not an inkjet.

In general, I'm finding that photographers are the ones who care about this issue more than anyone else.

"Giclee could be a correct term, you can squirt them out one after the other..."

I can see you haven't seen the high side of 40 yet. That, or you have a young mistress...;0

What is wrong with the term "Silver Gelatin Print"? I do not mean to be hoity-toity, but this is the process I was taught. Being naive I assumed it was supposed to be called that. It differentiates between other light sensitive printing processes. Or if you may, a process that produces a B&W photograph. As a cibachrome print would be a photograph made from a positive slide transparency. The word “Print” is too vague with all of the process.

Old School Wayne

I'm going to surprise everyone and say I think its because of the digital-analog thing. Many people (using it) want to obscure the digital connection or minimize it's importance whenever possible. Surprised? :-) I applaud those who do not do so.

Actually Wayne, for most commercial work, clients prefer digital....so if anything was going to be hidden, it would be the use of film. That said, I've had people think both my Mamiya RB67 and Shen Hao 4x5 are fancy digital cameras. Whatever makes them happy!

Alan,
    I'll be 57 in Oct. If I had a young mistress my wife of 35 yrs would make sure I didn't make. LOL