Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to sell my darkroom equipment?

Has Been LF Photographer

Re: Where to sell my darkroom equipment?

These days, it's sometimes a challenge to find someone who wants it for free.

Yes, it can be a challenge, but there are people out there that want the stuff -- whatever it is. The problem is that it takes a little bit of work to find them. That's where EBAY comes in. The WORST thing to do is throw it out. EBAY is great because you can display your "stuff" to the world.

Here's another example. Last week, I sold a Kowa neck strap to someone in Japan for $15. I was paid an additional $15 to send it to Japan (actual shipping cost). It was it great shape but it was just a neck strap. Many people would have just thrown it out because, among other things, it will only fit on SOME Kowa cameras. So if you have lightweight -- AKA under 5 pounds -- items, consider taking the time to sell them on EBAY.

For the bigger stuff, you can sell it on CRAIGSLIST -- or give away on FREECYCLE or CRAIGSLIST.

Since you're in L.A. why not try selling at one of the monthly Bargain Camera Shows, either in Pasadena or Anaheim? I attend the Pasadena show often and run into many young people excited about using film. Many are exploring larger formats and alternative processes. Not saying darkroom stuff will definitely sell, but worst case is you'll blow a Sunday, and spend $25 for a table.

Scott

I certainly would love for someone to give me another Beseler 45 or two if they are on the east coast!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Put it up on craigslist and renew the posting.
    I had a hard time finding my beseler 45 when I finally decided to get one. The market is small and stutters in my experience, but the gear keeps circling around. It just takes time and patience and you might not make much money for it, but someone will be happy to use it eventually.

Another option through the high schools is to see if they are willing to inform their exiting students that you have equipment available....
    Rooster, freecycle, and offer up might be other alternatives to craigslist.
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

Thanks for all the good advice. Burkina Faso is out of my range, but nearby Santa Monica College has a photography department with a 30 enlarger black and white lab, and a 22 enlarger color lab. That's a lot of enlargers for a two year school. In recent years there's been a lot of entertainment industry moving to the Santa Monica area, and also funding the local college(s). Perhaps there's a trend toward more non digital darkroom work. The local Los Angeles Craigslist should be worth a try.

Here's a kinda, sorta, answer to your question. A guy on EBAY has been trying to sell/auction a pretty nice Beseler 45MX chassis -- no head. All he was asking was $29. The auction/sale ended last night. He didn't get one bid.

Who knows what he will do with it now? Craig's List FREE section?

OR buy a film camera and start developing and printing again. Put that dark room to use!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

FYI,

The guy is trying to get RID of darkroom gear. Comprende?

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    FYI,

The guy is trying to get RID of darkroom gear. Comprende?
    Obviously, but try thinking outside the box.
    It might be preferable to the OP taking a financial loss.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White