Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to handle "Free on Loan" threads, etc.

Re: How to handle "Free on Loan" threads, etc.

We've all seen the little coin dishes at the counter by the cash registers. I've spoken to many cashiers who tell me the same people ALWAYS TAKE... and the same folks ALWAYS GIVE.

I quit giving because most of the people who take... are NOT the folks who NEED it. Most of those who TAKE are usually fairly well-off.

This connects with the OP only in the TRUST department. Not everyone is untrustworthy but too many are.

Quote Originally Posted by consummate_fritterer View Post
    I seldom sell or buy on forums anymore. I'll NEVER loan pricey things to others because of very bad experiences. People SELDOM return what they borrow.
    sorta drifting back on topic here!

I am greatly indebted to people loaning me camera gear at other times in my life. In the late 80's an older family friend lent me some Nikon glass he probably hadn't used since his service in Vietnam. It enabled me to shoot sports and nature photos. I could only afford one lens, so this was very helpful. I eventually returned the glass and repurchased one of the favorites for myself after college; the 55 micro AIS...

There are a handful of people on here I've met in person and would be glad to lend somewhat valuable things to. Strangers, I'm not so sure. Partly because I don't have time to deal with shipping, keeping track of where things are, etc... Same reasons I don't often sell gear. I wouldn't discourage other people from lending. CF, you appear new here; take some time to get to know people.

So Sandy, you've got a tri-color camera kicking around? Just curious. No way I could afford one now. But I know how to use one and would enjoy balancing the colors

Certainly there are valuable and expensive items I'd not loan. However, the current state of selling on ebay shifts the benefit ratio far from any benefit to me for selling anything less than $500. So for all that sub $500 equipment it might actually be more worthwhile to give or loan it away.

A very real problem is many seem unable to pack delicate things carefully

I have received a fair share of heavily damaged cameras and lenses

If you have ever seen how I pack, you know how to avoid most damage

But boxes get crushed and lost with all shipping methods

Insurance is also lousy

I have been saving my frozen meds boxes, which come with dry ice on rush in heavy styrofoam, very good for lenses

no it's not covid vacs
    Last edited by Tin Can; 19-Jan-2021 at 09:42. Reason: sp
    Tin Can

Tin Can