Thread: 4x5 user looking to step up to the big leagues

4x5 user looking to step up to the big leagues

Hi there!

I'm joining because I don't know what's good for me and am looking into 8x10, having used 4x5 for some years now. I've gotten a few lenses together and am doing the research on 8x10 field cameras at the moment!

I'm fond of instant films, though I may have to go to negative films at 8x10. Here's a smattering of stuff I've shot this year on 4x5. These are all on fuji fp100c45, positives scanned on my v600.

technika, komura 152/2.8

technika, komura 152/2.8

speed graphic, aero ektar

technika, xenotar 150/2.8

I look forward to soaking up all the knowledge that you all can squeeze out onto me (:

Re: 4x5 user looking to step up to the big leagues

You may want to wait and hear feedback on the new Intrepid 8x10, once it gets out into the "wild." This would be a very affordable option allowing you to "dip your toes" into the format without much initial outlay of cash. Then, after working with the camera for awhile if you find you really like the format and find that the Intrepid is restricting you somehow, move on to something else and sell the Intrepid. As for instant 8x10 film, AFAIK it's either expired Polariod material or TIP's product. Either way, that's an expensive road to head down IMO. But, we all make our own choices.

Good luck!

You are already in the big leagues!
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Collins View Post
    You are already in the big leagues!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    You may want to wait and hear feedback on the new Intrepid 8x10, once it gets out into the "wild." This would be a very affordable option allowing you to "dip your toes" into the format without much initial outlay of cash. Then, after working with the camera for awhile if you find you really like the format and find that the Intrepid is restricting you somehow, move on to something else and sell the Intrepid.
    +1

The 4x5 Intrepid has received great reviews. If you are not in a hurry and want to get into 8x10 inexpensively, you could wait for the 8x10 Intrepid. Of course, still do your research so you know what is available out there.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by Alan Gales; 22-Jul-2017 at 21:11.