Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Majestic Tripod Head 1/4"to 3/8" Make Up Screw Fix

Re: Majestic Tripod Head 1/4"to 3/8" Make Up Screw Fix

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    They are out of business Bob and further more what difference does it make? We are photographers not historians. I am confident that the forum participants understood the proper context of the post and that is all I was striving for.
    Someone that does not understand the proper context might go searching for the wrong name and never find the right name!

Agree with Bob whose name I have misspelled often. Sorry, Bob Salomon.

In many ways, this whole forum is a historical document.

I believe I bought the last NOS 3/8" Majestic tripod screws and base plugs directly from Bencher which had slowed in size to a husband and wife team in Northern Illinois. I think the last warehouse was their garage. I may be wrong. The listings in B&H and Adorama were never in stock the last years. Parts were drop shipped. The owners diclosed that. I had several long telephone conversations with both husband and wife. They were happy to tell their tale.

Many Majestic tripods and heads were made. Plenty available for anyone who wants them still. They are out there. I have found 3. I mount both a 1/4" and a 3/8" on the prefered large platform.

The Head bottom plug is child's play for any machinist. The tripod screw is more complex, but again anybody that can run a lathe can make one.

Without machining anything, as I don't own a big lathe, I made a plug adapter for Majestic head to Linhof Heavy-Duty Pro Tripod. Perhaps the best of both worlds. I posted pics of it in DIY.

History.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Agree with Bob whose name I have misspelled often. Sorry, Bob Salomon.

In many ways, this whole forum is a historical document.

I believe I bought the last NOS 3/8" Majestic tripod screws and base plugs directly from Bencher which had slowed in size to a husband and wife team in Northern Illinois. I think the last warehouse was their garage. I may be wrong. The listings in B&H and Adorama were never in stock the last years. Parts were drop shipped. The owners diclosed that. I had several long telephone conversations with both husband and wife. They were happy to tell their tale.

Many Majestic tripods and heads were made. Plenty available for anyone who wants them still. They are out there. I have found 3. I mount both a 1/4" and a 3/8" on the prefered large platform.

The Head bottom plug is child's play for any machinist. The tripod screw is more complex, but again anybody that can run a lathe can make one.

Without machining anything, as I don't own a big lathe, I made a plug adapter for Majestic head to Linhof Heavy-Duty Pro Tripod. Perhaps the best of both worlds. I posted pics of it in DIY.

History.
    As the Kaiser copy stand distributor for decades Bencher was our main competitor, while it was a friendly competition, they were never really successful in the retail market. But we did have fun in those days!

Majestic gearheads are readily available on the auction site. Some in much better shape than others. I think I'm up to 6-7 NOS or mint gearheads. Occasionally, there will be an NOS head under the majestictripods name on the site. They were made from leftover parts when Bencher closed it's doors. I've bought a couple and asked that they be supplied with 3/8 screws. They've been great to work with. Search Ebay under majestictripods and PM them.

The gearhead on the left has the adapter plug, the one on the right had a permanent base machined by Michael's friend to act like a Series 1000 head. Not cheap since it took a lot of machining, but it came out great! Also listed some Majestic literature which is elsewhere on this thread, but so many folks don't look at the entire thread! L

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1420.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	178688Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MajesticModels.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	178689Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MajesticSpecs.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	178690
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 29-May-2018 at 07:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Two base adapters for the Series 1200 gearheads. On left is an older aluminum adapter that inserts into the bottom of the gearhead. It has a lip roughly the outside diameter of the base. Loose is a Model 800 adapter made out of Stainless Steel, that also inserts into the bottom of the gearhead. These adapters would be screwed onto the tripod base, and then gearhead then fitted over it. Since the Model 800 doesn't have a lip, it can go too far into the head and hit the wormgear. On the right is a very elegant solution that George made for me. Made out of aluminum with a threaded SS insert for the threads, it is solidly attached to the gearhead and does not fall out. Essentially turns the Model 1200 into a Model 1000 gearhead. Well worth the cost.

Attachment 169361
    Hi Everyone. I'm a new member here and this is my first post, although I've read forum posts over the years. I'm in need of the insert for my 1200 head, like the one Michael's friend made for Luis. Luis, Michael, or anyone, do you have Michael's friend's contact information? Or maybe there is a newer/better solution that I haven't seen yet? Thanks in advance!

Scott

The inserts sometimes come up at auction. The one I had machined was quite expensive and our machinist friend is out of commission for the time being. L

Easy to make with off the shelf parts from McMaster Carr.

I made this to adapt a Majestic head to my Linhof Heavy Duty tripod.

It's 2 pieces of aluminum, drilled by me by hand and bolted together with a very strong Grade 8 bolt.

The big SAE round was slightly undersized for the metric Linhof so I put a few turns of aluminum tape to make it slightly bigger in diameter.

Works great, and could be modified to your purpose with drilled 3 holes around my bolt to attach the parts. then tap a 3/8-16 thread in the flat round.

I bought 1.5" x 3" aluminum dowel from https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-aluminum-rods and cut it in half with a hacksaw. One end is flat and square and the hacksaw end is non critical.

3" https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-aluminum-rods

I posted this in DIY sometime ago.

IMG-1573 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

IMG-1574 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

IMG-1575 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Thanks Randy. Nice job. That definitely looks doable too. I think I'll run down to the local metal supply shop and see what they have. :-)

Easy to make with off the shelf parts from McMaster Carr.

I made this to adapt a Majestic head to my Linhof Heavy Duty tripod.

It's 2 pieces of aluminum, drilled by me by hand and bolted together with a very strong Grade 8 bolt.

The big SAE round was slightly undersized for the metric Linhof so I put a few turns of aluminum tape to make it slightly bigger in diameter.

Works great, and could be modified to your purpose with drilled 3 holes around my bolt to attach the parts. then tap a 3/8-16 thread in the flat round.

I bought 1.5" x 3" aluminum dowel from https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-aluminum-rods and cut it in half with a hacksaw. One end is flat and square and the hacksaw end is non critical.

3" https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-aluminum-rods

I posted this in DIY sometime ago.

IMG-1573 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

IMG-1574 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

IMG-1575 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Great, if they don't have time or size, McMaster has no minimum purchase and ships fast.

I'm the guy who bought the last NOS Majestic Head spuds from the final owner of the business.

Very sad to see the empire fall, as Majestic Tripods and Heads are very good.

I also like CHICAGO cast into the the side. Lived 50 years inside Chicago. I escaped 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by BeingWolfy View Post
    Thanks Randy. Nice job. That definitely looks doable too. I think I'll run down to the local metal supply shop and see what they have. :-)
    Tin Can

I'm the guy who bought the last NOS Majestic Head spuds from the final owner of the business.
    Do you have an extra one that you'd like to sell me? :-)

I also like CHICAGO cast into the the side. Lived 50 years inside Chicago. I escaped 2 years ago.
    "I escaped 2 years ago..." lol!