Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Majestic Tripod Head 1/4"to 3/8" Make Up Screw Fix

Re: Majestic Tripod Head 1/4"to 3/8" Make Up Screw Fix

I bought a majestic tripod and the 3/8 mounting screw and realize too that the top plate where it goes thru will not let the 3/8 screw pass thru. Do you have a work around so I do not need to buy a new tripod head? Thss from ny

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    What cost??

It is very irritating to read this thread without one price being mentioned.
    Sorry but I’m not going to state a price for custom work that someone else may not honor for whatever reason. You want a price ask George for your particular situation. I’ll just say the price was fair and he did excellent work!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    A couple of years ago I found myself acquiring a Majestic tripod with a series 1200 head that was perfect for my Deardorff V11 and my Canham 8x20 camera. Unfortunately, the head (like so many in the used market) came with a 1/4x20 make up screw which was inadequate for my needs and the perpetual optimist in me assumed that acquiring a stronger 3/8" make up screw would be quick and easy. Calls to the manufacturer let me know that they stopped making that part some time prior. I missed a small number of replacement screws on B&H and was starting to be concerned where the fix was to be found.

On a shot in the dark I called the owner of Becher that made the tripod and the head and asked him if he had the engineering schematic for the 3/8" screw and he told me he did and he would send it to me. Fortunately I had a good friend here in Denver that is a master photographer and master machinist who was able to take the spec sheet and produced the 3/8" make up screw and assembled it on my tripod head and I was all smiles and in business.

I read a recent post where Luis Sosa was similarly looking for the same 3/8" Majestic make up screw. Fortunately, the good friend kept the spec sheet on the 3/8" make up screw and was able to fix the problem for Luis at a reasonable price and he was good to go. I would be remise if I did not at least make a concerted effort to reach out to the LF community to see if any other LF photographers are similarly in need of the 3/8" Majestic spring loaded make up screw for their tripod heads. Please PM me if you are interested and I will pass along the proper details.

Cheers!
    Bencher, not Becher!

I have a Linhof round base plate that converts from 1/4" to 3/8" and obverse.
    Maybe Bob S can give us the details.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I have a Linhof round base plate that converts from 1/4" to 3/8" and obverse.
    Maybe Bob S can give us the details.
    77mm or 46mm Dual Thread Top Plate for Linhof Rekord, 46mm, and Light Weight tripods, 77mm.
    Last edited by Bob Salomon; 14-May-2018 at 09:15.

no one uses those 3/8 to 1/4 adapter deals that are about a buck?

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
    You get what you pay for

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
    Those adapters are made with either one turn of thread, maybe two, for the cheap ones, frequently soft metals. Good ones, like the Linhof are made from brass and have about 5 turns of ⅜” thread. They are far from $1.00 but will correctly do the job for you!

Thanks, Bob!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Bencher, not Becher!
    They are out of business Bob and further more what difference does it make? We are photographers not historians. I am confident that the forum participants understood the proper context of the post and that is all I was striving for.