Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Majestic Tripod Head 1/4"to 3/8" Make Up Screw Fix

Majestic Tripod Head 1/4"to 3/8" Make Up Screw Fix

A couple of years ago I found myself acquiring a Majestic tripod with a series 1200 head that was perfect for my Deardorff V11 and my Canham 8x20 camera. Unfortunately, the head (like so many in the used market) came with a 1/4x20 make up screw which was inadequate for my needs and the perpetual optimist in me assumed that acquiring a stronger 3/8" make up screw would be quick and easy. Calls to the manufacturer let me know that they stopped making that part some time prior. I missed a small number of replacement screws on B&H and was starting to be concerned where the fix was to be found.

On a shot in the dark I called the owner of Becher that made the tripod and the head and asked him if he had the engineering schematic for the 3/8" screw and he told me he did and he would send it to me. Fortunately I had a good friend here in Denver that is a master photographer and master machinist who was able to take the spec sheet and produced the 3/8" make up screw and assembled it on my tripod head and I was all smiles and in business.

I read a recent post where Luis Sosa was similarly looking for the same 3/8" Majestic make up screw. Fortunately, the good friend kept the spec sheet on the 3/8" make up screw and was able to fix the problem for Luis at a reasonable price and he was good to go. I would be remise if I did not at least make a concerted effort to reach out to the LF community to see if any other LF photographers are similarly in need of the 3/8" Majestic spring loaded make up screw for their tripod heads. Please PM me if you are interested and I will pass along the proper details.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Michael Kadillak; 20-Jul-2017 at 07:07. Reason: typo

Re: Majestic Tripod Head 1/4"to 3/8" Make Up Screw Fix

Yes Michael put me in touch with his machinist friend, George who did a terrific job for me. I had bought a mint Majestic tripod head but without a camera mounting screw. Then I bought a junker head at auction but with a 1/4-20 mounting screw. I sent George the good head and the mounting screw and asked if he could make me a 3/8-16 camera screw and to use whatever parts he needed from the 1/4-20 screw to make the screw for my 810 & 11x14 Deardorffs. He re-packed the grease in the head and made the new mounting screw which came out just like the original, all at a very reasonable price.

I would take Michael up on his offer to put you in tough with his friend if you need a camera screw for a Majestic tripod head, or some other custom photography machine work. You won't find too many machinists who can do such excellent quality work in this day and age! Thank you Michael and George!

Luis

Showing the custom 3/8-16 screw George made for me-just like the original one! He re-used some parts from a 1/4-20 Majestic screw I had, but I suspect could make the entire assembly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1356.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	167567 lClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1359.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	167568 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1358.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	167569
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 27-Jul-2017 at 09:38.

I thought I'd post some specs for those who may be interested in Majestic Tripods/Gearheads.

Name:	MajesticModels.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	167587

Name:	MajesticSpecs.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	167588

As you can see, the Series 1000 Gearheads were for screw mount and have a 3/8 screw on the bottom, Models 1200 and 1900 fit directly on a post, either a Majestic or Davis & Sanford tripod. They also made a tripod adaptor for the tube end ones which had a 3/8" screw hole. I suspect George could easily make one of those if needed. I'll post some photos later.

My understanding is George makes them for scratch, and does not need any parts. I have sent him a money order for the cost of a new bolt and shipping cost only.

Mike

Here are two Majestic tripod heads. The older black one on the left is a Model 1200 made to fit a Majestic post. The one on the right is a Model 1000-E with a female 3/8-16 threads.

Name:	IMG_1360.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	167601

Another shot of the Model 1200 showing the size of the opening.

Name:	IMG_1362.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	167602

Luis, can't get your down loads to work.

should be fixed now.

Two base adapters for the Series 1200 gearheads. On left is an older aluminum adapter that inserts into the bottom of the gearhead. It has a lip roughly the outside diameter of the base. Loose is a Model 800 adapter made out of Stainless Steel, that also inserts into the bottom of the gearhead. These adapters would be screwed onto the tripod base, and then gearhead then fitted over it. Since the Model 800 doesn't have a lip, it can go too far into the head and hit the wormgear. On the right is a very elegant solution that George made for me. Made out of aluminum with a threaded SS insert for the threads, it is solidly attached to the gearhead and does not fall out. Essentially turns the Model 1200 into a Model 1000 gearhead. Well worth the cost.

Name:	IMG_1420.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	169361
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 5-Sep-2017 at 20:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Two base adapters for the Series 1200 gearheads. On left is an older aluminum adapter that inserts into the bottom of the gearhead. It has a lip roughly the outside diameter of the base. Loose is a Model 800 adapter made out of Stainless Steel, that also inserts into the bottom of the gearhead. These adapters would be screwed onto the tripod base, and then gearhead then fitted over it. Since the Model 800 doesn't have a lip, it can go too far into the head and hit the wormgear. On the right is a very elegant solution that George made for me. Made out of aluminum with a threaded SS insert for the threads, it is solidly attached to the gearhead and does not fall out. Essentially turns the Model 1200 into a Model 1000 gearhead. Well worth the cost.

Name:	IMG_1420.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	169361
    What cost??

It is very irritating to read this thread without one price being mentioned.