Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mariposa Alert!

Re: Mariposa Alert!

There is one ironic benefit to this smoke invasion. I encountered it a few years ago when the fire was to the east of the valley. Yes, it made photographing the iconic shots a no-go. But early morning along the Merced, the sun shone through the smoke and gave a really nice warm glow to Ansel's tree (no longer there) that would not be otherwise the case.
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Drew Wiley

I got wonderfully surreal shots of Mono Lk during the June Lk fire, but I also sneezed about a week. It seems that most of the smoke has cleared from Yos Valley, but that could just be due to a temporary shift in wind direction. On the upper Merced last yr there was just enough veil of smoke over the peaks to create a wonderful sense of atmosphere, both with color and b&w film.

Preston Birdwell

Smoke production from the Detwiler fire is much reduced due ongoing containment efforts. There will likely be some smoke generated when unburned islands torch out as time goes on. The fire is 81,826 acres - 90% contained as of today.

There are two fires in the Sonora/ Jamestown area; the Twist and Jacksonville fires. The Twist Fire is 180 Ac and 50% contained. The Jacksonville Fire is 690 acres - 73% contained. Both fires are still producing some smoke that may drift into the higher Sierra.

If you plan to travel in these areas, be cautious of fire apparatus and personnel.

Be safe out there, everyone.
    --P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Drew Wiley

Thanks, Preston. I hope you still have opportunities to slip up to Sonora Pass. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed about a lengthy west-side trip next month. I still recall your "death march" story about a single dad east to west crossing over Forester Pass. It would sure be nice to have that kind of energy again. I might be a lot slower now, but I'm certainly not any smarter!

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Crossing the San Joaquin near Muir Ranch a few days ago:

Thomas

Preston Birdwell

Drew, it is good see you back here again!

In fact, Lon Overacker and I headed up to Sonora Pass on Saturday for a couple nights. We will be digital capture this time around.

Yeah, I wish I still had the kind of energy I had then! Forester Pass at night, in a storm was pretty awesome!
    --P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Starting to get more smokey up here in NW CA. Tis the season...
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

Here on SF Bay, it's the reverse airflow of monsoon activity over the SW and southern Sierra that is importing smoky haze and some heat. My own place is up ten degrees to around 65F, but that rapidly climbs not far away. Once normal flow resumes, some smoke might head back toward Yos. We have a few fires of our own too.

Drew Wiley

Preston, my main backpacking partner over the past several years likes to do nighttime digi videos of men storms. We've been in some humdingers! I still pack a film 4x5 on those long trips, though I now also have the option of a Fuji 69 RF.

Drew Wiley

Weird typo, sorry. This dumbphone shifted mtn into men automatically.