Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Product - Lens and Shutter Protectors

Re: New Product - Lens and Shutter Protectors

Thanks for the faith.

Kumar

Yes, give it a bit of time, and consider other avenues to reach LF photographers. For those with multiple cameras, lenses, and lens boards, it may be quite valuable. In my photojournalistic days -- the days of prime lenses and multiple 35mm (film, of course) bodies -- rear lens protection, especially, was essential, and when traveling, a body cap or two joined the lens caps.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Thank you.

Kumar

Seems like a viable product to me, and fair at the suggested price point. If more orders come in you can consider lowering pricing somewhat (e.g. #6) .

I'm starting to build my LF gear, so I don't have a direct need at this point, but would surely consider in the future.

Great to see you are venturing new areas/products for LF gear - appreciated!

I suspect the market is small because most people have lens/shutter combinations, and just use plastic front and rear lens caps. They seem a reasonably priced solution for those who have spare shutters.

Dave Karp

I agree. Most of us have shutters with associated lens cells and don't separate them very often. I have one convertible lens. I found a push on lens cap that fits the back of the front cell, so the idea is not crazy, I just have no idea of the potential size of the market. And my convertible lens is in an Ilex shutter. How many different lens/shutter combinations are out there associated with convertibles? Are there enough of us out there to make a useful market? How do you reach us? Maybe your market is in China. If the same perccentage of LF shooters use convertibles there as in the USA, that might be a large enough market for you.

A LF Forum member made a nice adapter for me out of brass that screws into the front of my Ilex shutter and adapts to 52mm filters. That allowed me to protect the inside of the shutter from debris while out in the field and to easily mount the strong yellow filter often used with convertibles. Perhaps that is something that might be used more often than caps for storage. A stiff and durable plastic adapter would be fine for this purpose.

Another product would be nice stiff push on lens caps. I think Grimes machines them and they are expensive. I think a forum member might have tried those too, so I don't know. Certainly, more people need front and rear lens caps than need to protect cells removed from shutters or lensless shutters. And it all depends on the price. I ended up using front snap caps and grabbing up used Nikon and Fujinon push ons for the rear, along with the occasional Kaiser push in the smaller sizes.

Roy - Thank you for the encouragement.

Frank - Agreed. Most people have lens/shutter combinations, and would not need these products, except when they need to send in a shutter for repair, or would like to keep a spare shutter.

David - The Chinese market is huge, certainly. Maybe I should enlist the help of some of my LF customers there. I do have the drawings for Acetal/POM lens caps ready. http://www.largeformatphotography.in...etal-Lens-Caps I got a small batch molded, but the fit and finish was not up to the mark. I'll probably get them machined in Japan.

Thank you all, and please keep the suggestions coming.

Kumar

I've had a few inquiries for a full set of protectors for each shutter size. I'm glad to inform that I can sell a full set of 2 Lens Protectors + 2 Shutter Protectors (front & rear) in Copal #0 size for 6,000 JPY plus shipping.

Kumar

UPDATE:

Thanks to all of you who bought the #0 Protectors and / or inquired about other sizes. I met the manufacturer yesterday and have a quote for other sizes of Lens and Shutter Protectors. These will all be machined to the same high standards as the #0 size.

There are a couple of design changes, however. There was some confusion caused due to the design similarity between the Rear Shutter Protector and the Lens Protector. Accordingly, all new Shutter Protectors will have male threads, like the Front Shutter Protector. The knurled knobs will be made smaller to reduce weight. The step marked will be eliminated to ensure that the protector can be threaded in fully.

A number of you also asked whether the Protectors could be sold individually, rather than only as a set. Yes, they can be purchased individually.
    A set of two will cost a bit less than buying two separately. You can mix and match within the same size to get the lower price. For example, two #0 Shutter Protectors or two #0 Lens Protectors or one #0 Shutter Protector and one #0 Lens Protector will all cost 2,500 JPY.

So these are the new prices:

1. #0 size Lens and Shutter Protectors - 1,500 JPY each; 2,500 JPY per set of two.

2. #1 size Lens and Shutter Protectors - 1,800 JPY each; 3,000 JPY per set of two.

3. #3 size Lens and Shutter Protectors - 2,500 JPY each; 4,000 JPY per set of two.

4. #3S size Lens and Shutter Protectors - 2,500 JPY each; 4,000 JPY per set of two.

To all those who purchased #0 protectors: I am refunding the excess payments.

Shipping is extra. Worldwide (Asia, Europe, N. America, Australasia) e-Packet shipping for up to two sets of #0 and #1 size Protectors will cost 700 JPY, with #3 and #3S sizes a bit more. I'll know exact costs when they are manufactured.

I will proceed with manufacturing only if there is sufficient interest - at least 50 of each size of Lens and Shutter Protectors.

To discuss purchasing, please send me an email at focusgma at gmail dot com.

Thanks,
    Kumar
    Last edited by B.S.Kumar; 18-Sep-2018 at 02:53.

Okay, we're slowly getting there. As of now, I have commitments for an average of 15 sets in each size/type. I need a minimum of 50 of each size/type to place an order. The quote is valid until the 15th August. Can we make this happen?

Kumar