Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: What are the film scanner options in 2017?

Re: What are the film scanner options in 2017?

Quote Originally Posted by EH21 View Post
    Rich,
    If that is an LED light box, then quite possibly you will be missing some color. I've been working with different digital camera capture scanning methods myself, but the color of the LED and other light sources can cause problems. I am using the Sekonic C-700 spectrum analyizer to measure the light source.
    CRI is one thing but a light source can still report relatively high CRI and have some colors attenuated - often in the Reds. Quite honestly I am skeptical that your D800e with that setup is giving you more accurate colors unless you have somehow made an input profile for that light source for your camera.
    Certainly the Tango scan looked much better to me in the images shared.
    I haven't made a camera input profile yet. I'm going to try to get that done later today. I have only set the camera's white balance to the LED panel as a Custom setting.

A histogram of the light source shows three RGB peaks of about equal height and width, for whatever spectral information that conveys.

I'll make the input profile using my IT8 transmissive Q60 4x5 and generate the ICC profile with Argyll CMS. I wish there we're a way to use that profile in ACR. But ACR only accepts reflective input profiles made from a Color Checker chart, saved in DNG format (as far as I know). I would be able to apply the ICC profile in PS after processing the RAW file, but I want to apply it in the RAW processing stage. ACR doesn't expect cameras to be profiled as scanning devices.

I believe some of the other RAW processing programs, RAW Therapee, for instance accept ICC input profiles. Anyone know?

The light source matters for dslr scanning. I've tested a bunch of them. An input profile is not a panacea.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    The light source matters for dslr scanning. I've tested a bunch of them. An input profile is not a panacea.

Since I only shoot b&w LF, this would all be academic for me.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Perhaps a discussion of light sources for DSLR scanning would best be undertaken in the appropriate thread in the DIY section: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...Sources/page21
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Very true - if you want to scan color you need a source that supplies all the colors to start with. Xenon flash works usually pretty well, tungsten lights also pretty well, LED and fluorescent lights not so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pali K View Post
    For me personally, it is not about the resolution but the clarity and purity of the scan.

At the end of the day, the most exciting part is that film is so much alive that we are now trying to make the most from it using the latest technology

Pali
    Good point. Any ideas what makes that clarity and purity? I feel my eyes relaxed when I open Tango scans. Why is that? On a PC monitor...