Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooke XVa?

Cooke XVa?

Does anyone own one of these? Apart from the limited review on Clive Russ' website, I have been unable to find any user experience. I am considering one as a "do it all" lens for 8X10 (two samples with one shutter, so that I can have the complete range). Any thoughts?

Cooke XVa?

Don,

I received mine in November, #019, and I love it! Very sharp and contrast is excellent. It is considerably better than my Turner-Reich, but that was to be expected:^). The only problem I have with it is remembering to make sure the aperture ring is correctly positioned for the focal length I am shooting, and that is usually when I am in a hurry. Rumor has it that they will be coming out with a 4x5 version, I will be getting one of those also. Email me if you want any particulars.

Cheers

Greg

Geos

Cooke XVa?

I just received #52, and although I haven't shot with it yet, 6x groundglass views indicate excellent quality - price now up to $2500 for the optics only. I think that I'll add a 210 Angulon to the package for an ultra-portable (if one can say 8x10 is portable) travel package. I'll also be getting the 4x5 version if it becomes available.

Vanannan

Cooke XVa?

Hi Don
    I have recently taken delivery of a Cooke XVa and am delighted with its performance, resolution and evenness of illumination are excellent with all focal length combinations and therefore would thoroughly recommend it.

Best wishes

Tony

Cooke XVa?

Hi: I have owned one for a while now and I can echo all the comments. It is remarkably sharp and contrasty wide open. All 3 focal lengths cover my Canham 7x17 back, too. I haven't developed the negatives yet, but the image on the gg looked good. I bought the screw-on element caps that S.K. Grimes makes and they are a great idea. It makes putting down one of the elements a much less stressful action. This lens, combines with my 24cm Dagor a great combo. My Dagor is in barrel, but it screws directly into the front of a Copal #3 shutter. So I have one shutter and 4 focal lengths in my 8x10 outfit.

Right now, I have a lot of fixed focal length 8x10 lenses sitting around gathering dust as a result of purchasing this lens.

-Mike

Cooke XVa?

Mike, I would especially like to know how this lens performs with your 7x17 in the corners at infinity as I'm sure other forum members would. Emile

Cooke XVa?

Love this lens. Got #065 in August.

Getting great negatives on 8x10.

Cooke XVa?

Hi Emile:

Yes, I would like to know to<g>. The negatives are still in the holders and my darkroom is as yet still unpacked. I just moved into a new place. As soon as I know, I'll post the info. The image looke fine on the gg, but the real proof will be the negative.

Take care.

-Mike

Cooke XVa?

Don,

Jim Galli has an original in a Betax. I think he posted some of his photos that he'd taken with it on the APUG forum. Wonderful photos! I wonder if the ghost of AA had anything to do with it?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Cooke XVa?

Does anyone know of any comparison testing of the Cooke XVa lens compared to the latest Schneider or Rodenstock? I can only find glowing testimonials from people who have purchased the lens or in marketing literature. I use an old Caltar II-N 300mm lens and am sometimes disappointed when the sun is just outside the image circle. I shade very carefully with a Lee compendium shade. I sometimes wonder if the lens performance could be an issue (coating, for example.) I would consider spending the money for one of the Cooke XVa lenses if it is actually better than a 300mm Apo Symmar or the Apo Sironar-S (which costs about the same as the Cooke, in fact.) Are there any side by side tests by objective reviewers?