Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cooke XVa?

Re: Cooke XVa?

If the regard in which Cooke's cinema lenses are held is anything to go by, it is probably a superb optic.

Do I understand correctly that it costs $5,100 to get all three focal lengths plus the cost of buying a Copal 3 shutter and getting it mounted?

It's kind of odd that Cooke doesn't put images made with this lens up on its web site. Are they taking their cue from M. Vogt ?
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Do I understand correctly that it costs $5,100 to get all three focal lengths plus the cost of buying a Copal 3 shutter and getting it mounted?
    No. The three focal lengths are obtained by choosing one, the other or both cells. If you buy two sets you can actually have five possibilities, not three.

See more info and pricing here:

https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/..._detail&p=3034

As anyone who reads American Cinematographer knows, Cooke has a great reputation for its cinema lenses. The price of this lens, if it is $2550 plus shutter for the three focal lengths, and assuming both that one has a use for those focal lengths and that the lens is as well-made as their ciné lenses, strikes me as perfectly reasonable.

Some time after the 4x5 lens came out, I spoke with the woman who owns Cooke at the New York photo show. I asked her whether she had any prints that she could show me, or send to me on the basis that they would be returned. She didn't have anything, although with that lens Cooke at least had some images up on its web site. The discussion did kind of remind me of the conversation that I had at the same show with Phillipe Vogt. Anyway, I'm inclined to send Cooke an e-mail and try again, this time with reference to the XVa.

If anyone knows where in New York or London I might see prints of photographs made with this lens, I'd be obliged. I'll be in both cities in the coming months.

Getting a second Cooke to obtain the two intermediate focal lengths only 38 and 57mm from 311mm is pretty expensive. The basic three focal lengths for $3K is kind of steep in its own right but not out of line compared to buying any other 8x10 lens new.

Frank, your heads up on the appearance on the market of one of the 8x10 cameras is responsible for the fact that I'm on the hunt for lenses that cover 8x10 in the first place. Still not sure whether to curse or thank you

Seeing as how you have an interest in web stuff, have a look at the thread that was just started on a Livebooks implementation. Pretty slick.
    Last edited by r.e.; 2-Mar-2010 at 20:06.

Smile Re: Cooke XVa?

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    If the regard in which Cooke's cinema lenses are held is anything to go by, it is probably a superb optic.

It's kind of odd that Cooke doesn't put images made with this lens up on its web site. Are they taking their cue from M. Vogt ?
    Keep in mind that there is also the difference in exchange rates, which will make the price a little steeper.