Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Building the "Sinar Norma Handy" camera!

Re: Building the "Sinar Norma Handy" camera!

Here is my home made Sinar Norma Handy camera, with a 6x9cm Graflex Back. Indeed in this configuration this camera is quite "Handy". Weighs almost nothing, balances well in my hand. The 65mm viewfinder from China is now in Chicago, so I should have it in a few days.

The Graflex back is loaded with 120 respooled 70mm Plus-X Aergraphic 2402, hand rolled by Bennini, and came all the way from Italy.

This will be a hoot to shoot with. I am going to drill out the handle and fit a long cable release to go to the 65mm F8 Super Angulon Compur #00 shutter. Then it is finally done.

Sinar Norma Handy 6x9 Graflex Back 70mm 2402 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here's the new viewfinder coming from China. Sure hope it works out for me.

Sinar Norma Handy Viewfinder by Nokton48, on Flickr
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Great progress, Dan. I'm wondering if you'll be able to get your eye close enough to the viewfinder to see the whole gg with the roll film holder in place... or with a film holder inserted for vertical composition.

Hey Jerry,

With the Graflex back you have to remove the Norma GG on the Norma Plate Holder Adapter, and secure the Graflex roll holder with the Graphmatic clips on the plate adapter.

As far as verticals go, I will turn the camera 90 degrees and shoot that way. A 4x5 plate does not block the viewfinder shooting horizontally, as far as I can tell. I have old Sinar literature that shows them turning the camera 90 degrees for a vertical. So I will do that and see how it goes.

Sinar made a rotating Handy viewfinder, mounted on a tall block. But that is for the modern Handy camera, not the Norma. I bet that would take 4x5 plates vertically............. But I would shudder to think what it originally cost ! And I want Norma, not modern Sinar. I am a Norma purist

modern Sinar Handy by Nokton48, on Flickr

― Mark Twain

Also Schneider made a Center Filter 1 specifically for the Super Angulon 65mm F8. I am looking for one on the cheap............
    Helpful when shooting 4x5" Handy photos.

Schneider 65mm f8 Center Filter by Nokton48, on Flickr

― Mark Twain

Don't expect great results from that viewfinder... just sayin'. ;-) For my Cambo Wide with 65mm, I find the Mamiya 7 43mm viewfinder a good match, plus it has a bubble level built-in. You can find them for $100-ish, depending on when/where you look.

-Ed

Thanks Ed! The Gaoersi Viewfinder arrived yesterday, Yes it's kind of painful to look through, especially at the edges. Also wonder how accurate the framing would be with this finder. Oh Well ;-) There are not too many 65mm 4x5 finders around here to try out!

Yashica SLR Viewfinder on Sinar Handy by Nokton48, on Flickr

I did look around all my stuff, and I found a nice Yashica SLR 21mm finder, this is comparable to the 21mm Leitz finder. Don't know if it's wide enough, but it sure is small and pleasant to look through. Here it is mounted on the Norma Handy.

Will search for the Mamiya 7 43mm finder. Haven't found any yet. Will keep looking.
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 1-Aug-2017 at 07:56.

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Thanks Ed! The Gaoersi Viewfinder arrived yesterday, Yes it's kind of painful to look through, especially at the edges. Also wonder how accurate the framing would be with this finder. Oh Well ;-) There are not too many 65mm 4x5 finders around here to try out!

Yashica SLR Viewfinder on Sinar Handy by Nokton48, on Flickr

I did look around all my stuff, and I found a nice Yashica SLR 21mm finder, this is comparable to the 21mm Leitz finder. Don't know if it's wide enough, but it sure is small and pleasant to look through. Here it is mounted on the Norma Handy.

Will search for the Mamiya 7 43mm finder. Haven't found any yet. Will keep looking.
    If you are really worried about the finder's accuracy then you need to take into consideration the distance from your hot shoe to the center of your lens, field size and parallax.
    In short, the finders you are looking at will not be all that accurate.

You might want to look at a Mamiya Press 50mm finder as they are parallax adjustable (and not too pricey). Back in the day I had a Sinar Handy with a 75mm Super Angulon and used that finder. As no finder is super precise, once you get used to it, it could work well for you and your 65mm lens.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    "....As no finder is super precise, once you get used to it, it could work well for you and your 65mm lens.
    Well that isn't quite correct. A Linhof Mutifocus Finder, the version made for the last 40 odd years, has automatic parallax and field size compensation and accepts masks for film formats from 6x6 to 4x5. Of course it is designed for the Master Technica so it would not be as accurate on other cameras whose shoe to lens distance is different or whose shoe is not centered on the lens. It works for focal lengths from 75 to 360mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    You might want to look at a Mamiya Press 50mm finder as they are parallax adjustable (and not too pricey). Back in the day I had a Sinar Handy with a 75mm Super Angulon and used that finder. As no finder is super precise, once you get used to it, it could work well for you and your 65mm lens.
    Thanks Richard! I will investigate that possibility. I distinctly remember Sinar used to use Mamiya Universal finders on their Handy cameras. Need to dig out old literature......

― Mark Twain