Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Building the "Sinar Norma Handy" camera!

Building the "Sinar Norma Handy" camera!

Taking inspiration from this beautiful camera I found on Flikr, I have decided to build my own version. "The Sinar Norma Handy" camera!

Quote Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
    LX3L7044 by Andrei Badoiu, on Flickr

LX3L7053 by Andrei Badoiu, on Flickr

Here I have acquired a Norma Auxiliary Frame (just for this project!) and removed the extra unnecessary pieces. I then removed the two Sinar metal male screws at the top and bottom, by removing the cotter pin holding them in. I'm going to add this homemade wooden pistol grip I bought on Ebay for $10.

I will drill a hole front top center of the grip and insert a cable release to trip the shutter on the 65mm F8 Schneider Super Angulon. Still need to find one in nice condition. And an appropriate viewfinder, and Bubble Level will need to be attached. I'm going to take my time designing and building this.

Here's the wooden grip.

Sinar Handy Grip by Nokton48, on Flickr

My project thus far:

Sinar Norma Handy Parts by Nokton48, on Flickr

Comments(and ideas!) Please!

-Dan
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Re: Building the "Sinar Norma Handy" camera!

A few more pix of the camera that has inspired me.

LX3L7048 by Andrei Badoiu, on Flickr

LX3L7051 by Andrei Badoiu, on Flickr

Comments?

― Mark Twain

And here is the Sinar Handy Norma Viewfinder I think I will acquire:

Sinar Norma Handy Viewfinder by Nokton48, on Flickr

And I just bought this cold shoe mount. All I have to do is tap out the Norma built-in shoe to fit the mounting screw on the cold shoe

Sinar Norma Handy Cold Shoe by Nokton48, on Flickr

― Mark Twain

If I take one of these apart, it would probably be a good fit on the "Norma Handy"

Easy to take apart and modify.

Sinar Handy Norma Bubble Level by Nokton48, on Flickr

― Mark Twain

Daniel - Just curious. Why do you feel you need a bubble level on a hand-held camera? The first photo seems to show a tripod mount using what looks like maybe a Hasselblad piece that fits the Hasselblad Quick-Disconnect accessory, which you're replacing with the wooden pistol grip. Also the Sinar back is designed for using 2 hands to insert the film holder, but you're using one hand to hold the pistol grip; it seems you need 3 hands. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    Daniel - Just curious. Why do you feel you need a bubble level on a hand-held camera? The first photo seems to show a tripod mount using what looks like maybe a Hasselblad piece that fits the Hasselblad Quick-Disconnect accessory, which you're replacing with the wooden pistol grip. Also the Sinar back is designed for using 2 hands to insert the film holder, but you're using one hand to hold the pistol grip; it seems you need 3 hands. Am I missing something?
    I'm pretty sure the Hasselblad level is designed to fit on the left side of the Hasselblad body.

Grip: I'm partially handicapped in my left hand, and grips are very important to me. To date, the very best ergonomic grip is the Rollei intended for their TLR. What is not apparent in the photo is that it has a left twist that is natural to the right hand. It requires a slightly tapered tripod mount which is easy to make, even from a short stack of washers of different sizes (to taper).

See the grip here. KEH.

Aside: The Plaubel Veriwide can use the same grip! It clips right on. (Not the Brooks Veriwide)

Camera building is FUN! Here are the results of my initial effort today. I figured out how I wanted to attach the grip, and that is done and I am satisfied with the result. Went to Lowes for parts and was able to get what I needed to do the job. A lot of metal cutting was required to get this right (trial and error). It takes 4x5 holders without too much juggling (for me). Here it is shown with one of my Linhof holders. I'm not now thinking I want a bubble level; This camera will never be on a tripod. If I want straight lines I will use one of my Normas. This is going to be a work in progress. I like how this thing handles, this is my first experience with a "Handy". Onward and upward. Eventually I want a Norma era Sinar Grip, but for now this gets me going.

Sinar Norma Handy Initial Build by Nokton48, on Flickr

Sinar Handy by Nokton48, on Flickr

The later Handy; The F Black bail mechanism is a lot stiffer than the Norma; I prefer the Norma mechanism myself. This will work fine with my Liscos and Fidelity 4x5 and 9x12 holders.
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 8-Jul-2017 at 15:12.

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Camera building is FUN! Here are the results of my initial effort today. I figured out how I wanted to attach the grip, and that is done and I am satisfied with the result. Went to Lowes for parts and was able to get what I needed to do the job. A lot of metal cutting was required to get this right (trial and error). It takes 4x5 holders without too much juggling (for me). Here it is shown with one of my Linhof (springy pressure plate holders).
    I'm not now thinking I want a bubble level; This camera will never be on a tripod. If I want straight lines I will use one of my Normas. This is going to be a work in progress. I like how this thing handles, this is my first experience with a "Handy". Onward and upward. Eventually I want a Norma era Sinar Grip, those tend to go for big Bucks $$$ Ten Bucks gets me going with this one.

Sinar Norma Handy Initial Build by Nokton48, on Flickr

Sinar Handy by Nokton48, on Flickr

The later Handy; The F Black bail mechanism is a lot stiffer than the Norma; I prefer the Norma mechanism myself. This will work fine with my Liscos and Fidelity 4x5 and 9x12 holders.
    It is not a "spring pressure plate holder" it is a Linhof Glass Plate/Sheet Film Holder. The plate makes up for the difference in thickness between glass plates and sheet film.
    Last edited by Bob Salomon; 8-Jul-2017 at 16:36.

Am I correct in assuming the 65mm is short enough that a focusing mount is not necessary? I've never used a lens that short in 4x5. Would close-ups require a focusing mount (and tripod), or is that reserved for the monorail?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    Am I correct in assuming the 65mm is short enough that a focusing mount is not necessary? I've never used a lens that short in 4x5. Would close-ups require a focusing mount (and tripod), or is that reserved for the monorail?
    Hey Jerry,

I guess it's a little hard to tell in the photos, but there is a Schneider Focusing Mount permanently attached to the Norma lens board. It's an original Norma item (in the original catalog) and I bought it cheaply years ago, with the intent of someday building a Norma Handy. I have an extensive inventory of original Norma items, and I intend this camera to become part of that. The focusing mount was designed for the Schneider 65mm F8 Super Angulon in #00 shutter, which was also an original Norma lens. It's a scale focusing helical designed for that specific lens, and it focuses from infinity to 3.5 feet per the markings on the helical. Just guess focus and shoot. The Handy was intended for large format hand held photography. I don't think I will be using mine on a tripod. Then it becomes "not so Handy"

― Mark Twain