Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Building the "Sinar Norma Handy" camera!

Re: Building the "Sinar Norma Handy" camera!

Thanks for your response, Ed!

Here is the other way to finish this, and frankly, I think I prefer this option. The Graflex XL grip is not as ergonomic as the Linhofs, but I think it will work ok. One bonus is that this one is complete (usually they are not), and includes the threaded flash shoe, which seems like a good bonus to me. I would have to drill a hole for the orientation pin on the XL mounting plate, then drill and tap two small mounting holes for machine screws in the Norma frame. But that is doable. Finaaly I can bolt a Manfrotto Hex plate to the bottom of the frame, to fit all of my tripod heads.

So it becomes like a poor man's Linhof Technar. But with Norma parts.

Graflex XL grip on Norma Frame by Nokton48, on Flickr

Linhof Technar by Nokton48, on Flickr

Linhof Technar.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    At this point everything Linhof I see on Ebay (that has a cable) is expensive IMO. I will give this a try and see how it works. And the price is more reasonable.
    Compatible grip cables are usually reasonably priced. I found a couple that were not identified as Linhof, but fit properly. There are at least three in this lot I found.

Completed XL Grip Sinar Handy by Nokton48, on Flickr

Had some time yesterday so I figured out a way to attach the Graflex XL Grip to the Norma format frame. I used two tiny brass hobby screws and nuts. It seems to be a very solid arrangement. The camera seems heavier with a side grip. I am still looking at Linhof grips but I want to give this a try.

― Mark Twain

Completed XL Grip Sinar Handy by Nokton48, on Flickr

Had some time yesterday so I figured out a way to attach the Graflex XL Grip to the Norma format frame. I used two tiny brass hobby screws and nuts. It seems to be a very solid arrangement. The camera seems heavier with a side grip. I am still looking at Linhof grips but I want to give this a try.
    Of course it would feel heavier, you have all the weight being supported on a small grip with most of the camera positioned behind the grip.

I did order this quick release plate set for the base of the Norma Handy. This plate setup will take the XL Pistol Grip, or a Manfrotto Hex plate. Worth having for $9.00

Quick Release plate Sinar Handy by Nokton48, on Flickr

― Mark Twain

Here is the final version (for now) of my Norma Sinar Handy! Underneath the silver clips on the right and left sides of the Norma frame, there is not any material to screw into. So I will not be able to do an effective solid side grip. But what I have now, is an authentic-looking Handy, made with Norma parts. I really like how it handles with the grip underneath, so I will have to go with that.

A $12 quick release from China, and $1.12 in machine bolts and nuts from Lowes, and ten minutes with my mini-drill press and bench grinder, was all that was required. This is an extremely well balanced, extremely solid rig. Now I will start to look for opportunities to test it, after New Years.

The cable release is -just- long enough to screw into the shutter, but not -too- tight. No wiggle room.

Norma Sinar Handy Final Version by Nokton48, on Flickr
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 23-Dec-2017 at 13:47.

― Mark Twain

Here is the final version (for now) of my Norma Sinar Handy! Underneath the silver clips on the right and left sides of the Norma frame, there is not any material to screw into. So I will not be able to do a side grip. But what I have now, is an authentic-looking Handy, made with Norma parts. I really like how it handles with the grip underneath, so I will have to go with that.

A $12 quick release from China, and $1.12 in machine bolts and nuts from Lowes, and ten minutes with my mini-drill press, was all that was required. This is an extremely well balanced, extremely solid rig. Now I will start to look for opportunities to test it, after New Years.

The cable release is -just- long enough to screw into the shutter, but not -too- tight. No wiggle room.

Norma Sinar Handy Final Version by Nokton48, on Flickr
    To prevent vibration your cable release should be longer as one as straight and taut as yours is a conduit for vibration. There should always be some sag to prevent and absorb vibrations.

That is an excellent point, Thank you again Mr. Solomon. So I will look for a cable release extension. I know I have an angled Hasselblad-one somewhere down in the studio. But I will consider alternatives.

― Mark Twain

Excellent work, Daniel!

About the cable release: a great remedy to a tense cable is a simple and cost effective extension that screws into the lens. Choose either a flexible straight one or a 45 degree version.

I can post those I use if you wish.

Here is my favorite, a Gepe https://www.digitalback.com/product/...ase-extension/
    Last edited by Jac@stafford.net; 23-Dec-2017 at 14:24.

OK I found a flexible one on Ebay for $10 plus shipping. I looked through several boxes of Hasselblad stuff but I can't find any angle releases; I thought I had one. The flexible one will do the job.

― Mark Twain