Thread: Beseler heat absorbing glass question

Beseler heat absorbing glass question

I've got a Beseler 45MXII with the standard condenser head. This question might pertain to other Beseler 45 enlargers, but it may not.

Does anyone have the Beseler heat absorbing glass? It is inserted above the condenser assembly and has a CAT# of 8077. The exploded view shows a spacer ring (6) that fits between the top of the condenser assembly (7) and the heat absorbing glass (5). The spacer ring has a PART # of 555-20-16. Since the spacer ring has a PART # instead of a CAT #, I assume that it comes with the enlarger, but mine lacks that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	heatglass.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	166953

My question is, what is the diameter and thickness of the heat absorbing glass? Any information on the spacer would be great as well.

Re: Beseler heat absorbing glass question

Original Beseler heat absorbing glass for the 45 enlarger is easily available new at major photo sellers or used or new on eBay.
    About 6 1/2" diameter (it is fitting just over the condensers so easy to check the right size), glass is about 1/8" or 5/32" . I have some in the past but sold them. My Beseler have an Ilford head over it.
    Spacer may be still available too (I think KHB in Canada have it) but really easy to duplicate, just take a brass rod 1/8 or 3/16 diameter and replicated the form of the absorbing glass. Just a spacer that the glass doesn't touch the condensers.
    My Lumen project http://ginetteclement.com

That's good to know. I've got a 6" diameter, 1/2" thick piece of clear glass. I don't know where it came from, but I thought it might be a heat absorber. It might be, but it is too small for the Beseler 45 or CB7. I was thinking I might try to use it on the CB7 when I use the point light source -- which can fry a negative in short order.

Back to the drawing board.

I just checked my CB7 manual and the heat absorbing glass for it is built-in. It is NOT an accessory. So I don't really have anything to worry about. The point light source for the CB7 will still fry my negatives pretty quickly, but that only happens when I leave it on for testing or focusing. The 12v bulb is so bright the exposures are very short. I have a voltage regulator that I can probably use to tone it down -- the only problem being that the light gets VERY yellow. But I could focus it at a low voltage and then increase the voltage for a very quick exposure. That ought to work.

Does anyone out the know of an enlarger that uses a 6" diameter, 1/2" thick heat absorbing glass? That seems a little too small for 4x5 use, but would be OK for 6x9 and smaller enlargers. I can always use it as a paper-weight, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    That's good to know. I've got a 6" diameter, 1/2" thick piece of clear glass. I don't know where it came from, but I thought it might be a heat absorber. It might be, but it is too small for the Beseler 45 or CB7. I was thinking I might try to use it on the CB7 when I use the point light source -- which can fry a negative in short order.

Back to the drawing board.
    Beseler also sold a heat absorbing glass for the 23C which would likely be smaller.

I checked it out. The Beseler heat absorbing glass for the CB7, 45MX, 23C and likely all of their enlargers are 1/8th inch (AKA double-strength glass). The 45MX (and probably other 45's) are 6.5" diameter, and the CB7 is almost 7". I have both heat absorbing glasses.

BUT, I also have a round, flat glass that is 6" in diameter and 1/2" thick. It is clear and smoothed on the edge to negate cuts. It will not fit my enlargers. Does anyone know of an enlarger that would have a heat absorbing glass that is 6" in diameter and 1/2" thick? I just don't want to through it out. FREE to anyone who can use it.