Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photobucket problems?

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Photobucket problems?

Like at least a few other members here, I've been using Photobucket as a site to host my images, and posting hot-links to put photos on the forum, as in the Pixie thread. Now Photobucket is embroiled in a mess of its own making, pulling a "pharma-bro" Martin Shkreli sort of maneuver, suddenly demanding $400 per year to keep their service going:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/emmawoo.../#7d3d0ff34a38

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/4/15...sy-paid-update

But as far as I can tell, all he Photobucket hot-links are working. Has anyone noticed any problems with their image hosting?
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Les

Re: Photobucket problems?

Indeed. I read the same thing. Hmmm, a reminder to build a wall (as high as possible) between 'bucket and me....that's my mo.

Les

Something similar a while back with using dropbox, which I have been using their free service for a few years now. After much searching I managed to find a very easy work-around for hot-linking to my images while still using their very generous service...of course, no guarantee how long that will work.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Has anyone noticed any problems with their image hosting?
    extreme advertising terror in the free version, links still working as far as I can see.
    I do not rely on such services. My fear is, that some day they all, inclusive Icloud, ask for money

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by hendrik faure View Post
    extreme advertising terror in the free version, links still working as far as I can see.
    I do not rely on such services. My fear is, that some day they all, inclusive Icloud, ask for money
    The advertising terror started about a month or so ago. The "pay us $400 a year or all your links will disappear" started a day or two ago. The pixie thread is pixie-less:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...-your-Pixies!-)

As are all my other images, such as the old Velostigmat thread:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...nfo-and-Images

And I've noticed some other folks photos are gone. They say everything lives forever on the internet, but I've found it's not so. Things vanish in the blink of an eye...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

It really hit people using Photobucket as the image source for Ebay, Amazon Store, and Etsy sales.

Most of my images are gone as well. At least the ones I thought good enough t upload and link to. I tried to download my images from photobucket, but it didn't work. I' quite sad about the missing Tink plates...

Photobucket Links Broken

Photobucket recently changed their policies regarding linking my photographs stored on their site to 3rd Party sites like this forum without submitting to an extortionist fee of $40 per month. They have also made it clear in their policies that they do not consider the photos stored on their site to be my property but intend to do whatever they wish with them, up to and including resale without my express approval.

As a result of these onerous and unreasonable policies I will no longer be using Photobucket to digitally store my photographs on line. I have also taken the precaution of deleting all current photographs stored on their site. This means that most, if not all, picture links that I have inserted into posts on this forum are now broken and will not work.

I do sincerely apologize to the membership of this forum as this action unavoidably reduces much of the value that may have existed in my contributions here

I am presently exploring alternative options to using a hosting site like photobucket, flikr or any of the rest. Once I have developed an alternative then I will try to recreate links to some of my more recent posts.

Thank you for your patience while this process works itself out.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Threads merged.

They have also made it clear in their policies that they do not consider the photos stored on their site to be my property but intend to do whatever they wish with them, up to and including resale without my express approval.
    =================

Was this part of the small print in the terms and conditions when you started using the site or maybe added on when terms were changed later? Too many of these types of sites have this policy.
    Then there are those that strip Metadata from your images which has the effect of taking out any copyright notice and contact information that is in the metadata. DMCA provisions take away 'innocent infringer' defense when someone removes your copyright information. About time they are hit with Copyright infringement claims when they do this?
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.