Thread: focusing jerky for closeup work

focusing jerky for closeup work

I have a problem with the smoothness of focusing my 4x5 Tachihara when doing closeup/macro work. It isn't nearly as pronounced with regular shots. I have had an old Graphic camera before and it seemed very smooth. Even my old Kodak 2D 8x10 is smoother. When trying to focus the Tachihara, it is very difficult to turn the knob just a little without the knob, or camera, jerking. I have tried using soap, different waxes in the gears, etc. But to no avail. I have tried lifting the front of the camera while focusing, thinking there was too much weight on the front end. I have even checked the rubber washer on the knob, and it is fine.

Other than the jerkiness of close focusing, I am very pleased with my Tachihara.

Are there any other suggestions I might try.

Thanks,

Jay

Since no one else has replied, I will. I used a Tachihara for about four years and never experienced any problems with the focusing knob or the camera itself "jerking" when making a close up photograph. I actually don't exactly understand what you mean by the knob or the camera "jerking" but in any event focusing was always pretty smooth with my Tachihara whether the photograph was macro or not. If it's something that's really bothering you I'd suggest sending the camera to someone like Richard Ritter and letting him take a look at it.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

As it happens in macro work, I'm going to presume it's a problem with a long-extension of the bellows. You may be stretching them farther than they want to go, and the jerkiness happens because the gears are fighting the bellows pull-back. As the direction of the pull-back is above the focusing track, the force is exaggerated by leverage, so it may not take much.

The easiest solution is to do the macro work with a slightly shorter lens, so you don't extend the bellows so far. If you really like the lens you're using, maybe an extended lensboard (on some cameras you can turn around a recessed lensboard), would give you the slack you need. Maybe you'll have to buy a longer bellow.

Just guesses from your description...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."