Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ULF Camera Cart

ULF Camera Cart

There was a post a while back for a two wheeled cart with a front/back wheel orientation (like a bicycle) originally made carrying killed game that looked like a good alternative for carrying ULF gear over "rough" terrain. Does anyone have a link for it? Can't remember if it was posted here or at APUG. If not, other than a 3 wheel bicycle, what do people use that is light and easily transportable in a car trunk for ULF gear? I'm not going deep into the woods, just need something to haul from the car and back!

Thanks, Luis

Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Re: ULF Camera Cart

Owning a 30# V11 and with similar away from the truck objectives I will share with you that after a number of attempts at transporting the infamous boat anchor with its appurtenant accessories, the best option iIMHO s a collapsible two wheel moving cart with plenty of elastic strapping to keep it on the cart. I tried the "baby stroller" and the four wheeled general transport option and what I found was that the undulated terrain was best modulated with the least number of contact wheels possible and two is without question better than four specifically for the task at hand. In this regard, the larger the two wheels the better. I got my cart at Costco. I will qualify that I have a thick padded Strebor case for the camera that adeptly has the capability of taking the tripod on top. I put the lenses as well as the holders and the accessories in a small backpack. Works like a shape. Appreciate Drew chiming in but the top heavy nature of this hunting mobility devise may be great for a deer carcass, but is problematic for a valued big ass camera. From an engineering perspective, keep the load low and you will be fine.

Lachlan 717

I've thought about this a bit.

If/when I get around to it, I'll build one with single axel (2 wheels).

I'll use the oversized Mountain Bike wheels (see below). I think these will work well on softer ground, as well as add a bit of shock absorption.

The main design element I think I need is having the load being borne in a gimbal-mounted basket. In this way, the load will always be flat, reducing torque and reducing the unbalanced load.

Oh, and I might link the gimbal to the wheels with a suspension system to again reduce shock on the camera kit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7815.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	163286
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Lachlan 717

Oh, and I'll add a locking system for both the gimbal and the wheels...
    Lachlan.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Owning a 30# V11 and with similar away from the truck objectives I will share with you that after a number of attempts at transporting the infamous boat anchor with its appurtenant accessories, the best option iIMHO s a collapsible two wheel moving cart with plenty of elastic strapping to keep it on the cart. I tried the "baby stroller" and the four wheeled general transport option and what I found was that the undulated terrain was best modulated with the least number of contact wheels possible and two is without question better than four specifically for the task at hand. In this regard, the larger the two wheels the better. I got my cart at Costco. I will qualify that I have a thick padded Strebor case for the camera that adeptly has the capability of taking the tripod on top. I put the lenses as well as the holders and the accessories in a small backpack. Works like a shape. Appreciate Drew chiming in but the top heavy nature of this hunting mobility devise may be great for a deer carcass, but is problematic for a valued big ass camera. From an engineering perspective, keep the load low and you will be fine.
    Michael, can you post a picture of your cart?

Thanks.

Just another idea:

https://www.amazon.de/Tatonka-1130-L.../dp/B001RTT8PG

Pulling a heavy loaded and two-wheeled transporter over roots and stones isn't as easy as it seems to be, I found after some years of camping and fishing.
    Often it changed into sidewinding and crabbing, in moving backwards, or in repacking the transporter.

Best would be a wide wheel base to avoid rollovers..

Ritchie

Lachlan 717

Or a Gimbal...
    Lachlan.

Posted several years ago. Here's an old Samsonite case I added an axle and wheels for hauling the Lotus 12x20. It holds 4 holders, tripod at the bottom of the pull out handle, and the lenses are in a bag over my shoulder. The tires take air so it handles rough terrain fine. Handled Santa Elena Canyon and Big Bend just fine several times and remained quite intact. Closer photos of the cart bottom with axle, wheels, etc are available. Axle is square tubing from Home Depot, wheels from Tractor Supply.

Here's a shot of the T handle that allows the case to remain open at a 45 degree angle.

A few more shots.............