Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Refurbished Rittreck View 5x7 Field Camera

Re: Refurbished Rittreck View 5x7 Field Camera

cool to see the repair with the bolt went so well. makes me wish I had had success with my mechanical adventure today. I have a seized and frozen shaft in my roll film back that refuses to release. But happy I at least managed to take it all apart and put it back together, even If I didnt make the fix!

i was going to suggest have a new bolt machined, but looks like you built your own fantastic bolt from kit parts!
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

Yup, I would have gone with the new, machined bolt, if this had not worked, but it did!

And this was the last bit of work the camera needed to make it work as well as when new. If the weather holds, I'll be doing some basic testing this weekend: light leaks, locking down of movements in the real world, etc. I'll start with some 120 film in my 6x12 holder, and try developing my own film for the first time, too!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by stawastawa View Post
    cool to see the repair with the bolt went so well. makes me wish I had had success with my mechanical adventure today. I have a seized and frozen shaft in my roll film back that refuses to release. But happy I at least managed to take it all apart and put it back together, even If I didnt make the fix!

i was going to suggest have a new bolt machined, but looks like you built your own fantastic bolt from kit parts!
    A trip to the freezer, then a little heat may loosen the shaft (The amount of heat depends on the materials).

Following up on this post, I'm curious to know what your thoughts are about this camera now that you've had it for a while. I'm a new member here and have been trying to get some info about this particular camera. Has it met your expectations? From what I've read it's a pretty solid camera, though I'm not sure what types of movements it has - looks like front rise and fall, maybe tilt, too. Any thoughts/impressions are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

I've sold a few Rittreck cameras, including two 5x7's last week. It is a solid, compact half-plate / 5x7 camera. Whole plate and 8x10 extension backs and 4x5 / roll film adapters are available. The front has rise/fall, tilt and swing. The rear has tilt, swing and shift, as well as micro-tilt. The lens boards are 115mm square with rounded corners. Linhof and Speed Graphic lens board adapters are available.

Kumar

Kumar knows much more about these, and about cameras in general, than I do. He's got all the details right on.

My own experience with the camera has been very satisfactory: It's very solid, which of course means it is not particularly light. I haven't actually weighed mine, but it has a non-standard back that I made, so the weight of mine would not be the same as others, anyway. Elsewhere on the Forum, someone says it weighs about 4100 g (9 pounds). But I think it hits the perfect balance between portability and stability. (But then, I'm a big guy.) It folds into a flat, protected state when not in use, and is not too much larger than many 4x5 cameras.

As Kumar wrote, you can get backs from medium format to 8x10 for it, though it is natively a fine 5x7, with 14 inches (350mm) of bellows draw. It can also easily focus my 90mm f/5.6 Super Angulon, though with little movement possible because of the bellows being squeezed. Again, though, mine has replacement bellows, which might be thicker than others.

I hope this helps.